The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS zone issue or something else

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by AlexF, Aug 12, 2004.

1. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

I created a new account using WHM, all went well except for the following: The new domain name is propogated (as I verified info through various whois vendors) but doesn't connect.

I checked all of my other zones and they are the same except for something new I noticed on this zone: under the comment of 'Zone file for domain.com, I see this a value $TTL 14400.

None of my other zones have this value. Could this be it? What exactly is this for? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Using: WHM 9.4.0 cPanel 9.4.1-C72 / FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p12 - WHM X v3.1.0

BTW: This is the first account I've added since upgrading to this version.

2. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

Ok, restarted BIND and that seemed to get it working.

However, I went to dnsreport.com and received a "lame nameserver" message on this particular domain. Can someone explain as to what needs to be corrected to fix this?

Also, I decided to enter my main domain address and in addition to the lame nameservers message, I also received the following: "WARNING: Your nameservers report somewhat different answers for your NS records (varying TTL, for example)." An explanation on this and a fix would also be appreciated.

I should add that on the main domain name, only my ns2 (which resides on a different server) shows, while on the additional domain name (which is a customers sharing my IP), I receive both my ns1 (same server/different IP) and the ns2 (as mentioned above, that resides on another server).

Thanks in advance.

#2 AlexF, Aug 12, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  3. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  4. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

Thank you for the links. I'll take a look at them now, that Charlie has spared us. God bless everyone in the Tampa Bay area..