DNS Zone Missing Nameservers and Server

cotswoldphoto

Feb 20, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Not sure what I have done wrong, but I have 3 dedicated servers. All the same spec. After setup and first login to WHM and filling in the welcome bits, and adding an account/domain to each ...

If I go to:

Home » DNS Functions » Edit DNS Zone

On 2 servers I see the domain (for example mysite.com), ns1.mysite.com, ns2.mysite.com and server1.mysite.com

One 1 server I see only mysite.com. What did I do wrong? Where are the missing ns1 and ns2 and server1

All domains work and resolve fine.

Trevor

danrussell

Nov 5, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi :),

You might have not created A records for Nameservers and Server hostname.
Go to "Home »DNS Functions »Add an A Entry for Your Hostname" to set DNS zone or A record for server hostname
Go to "Home »Server Configuration »Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" >> scroll at bottom >> Click on Assign IP Address in front of ns1 and ns2. And then click on "Add an A entry for this nameserver"

Reactions: mlopez

cotswoldphoto

Feb 20, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator

Go to "Home »DNS Functions »Add an A Entry for Your Hostname" to set DNS zone or A record for server hostname
Go to "Home »Server Configuration »Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" >> scroll at bottom >> Click on Assign IP Address in front of ns1 and ns2. And then click on "Add an A entry for this nameserver"
I had already done those :-(

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

Those entries are likely within the existing DNS zone for the domain name they are associated with, which is acceptable. Use the "Edit a DNS Zone" option to verify if that's the case.

Thank you.

cotswoldphoto

Feb 20, 2015
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hello :)

Those entries are likely within the existing DNS zone for the domain name they are associated with, which is acceptable. Use the "Edit a DNS Zone" option to verify if that's the case.

Thank you.
Yep, they are. I just wondered why on one server they are there inside the main domain, and as their own on another. I was trying to trace down a problem and have now resolved it, after a week of trying things.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
It's likely the DNS zone existed on one server before the entries were added, whereas the DNS zone for the domain name was created after the hostname and name server records on the other servers.

Thank you.

mlopez

Dec 17, 2020
Maldonado - Uruguay
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Twitter

Thank you @danrussell! I had the same problem and I fixed with your advice.
Now the option is called 'Configure Address Records', at the bottom of the screen, under the 'Nameservers' title.

Best regards!
Mauricio