The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNS zone without hosting account?!

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by kers7754, Jul 28, 2014.

1. kers7754

kers7754 Active Member

When I create a DNS zone that doesn't have a hosting account, the A record points to my shared IP for all my hosting accounts. So when I hit the URL, it seems show the website of the first website on that shared IP.

What are my options on how to fix this?

2. vanessa

vanessa Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    You should either:

1) point the DNS to the IP you want the site pointed to, instead of the shared IP

2) change the docroot for the shared IP to display a default page instead of a customer's website

3. kers7754

kers7754 Active Member

Now that I implemented CageFS, when I hit the URL for a domain that is part of my DNS but doesn't have a WHM hosting account, I get this error:

Executing in an invalid environment for the supplied user

But the point is still the same; I would like to display a default single web page rather that an error.

Vanessa: for option 1, do you recommend I request an additional IP address and create an account with that IP? Since I think the error is now showing, I believe this won't help since there still will not be an account for that domain.

For option 2, changing the docroot would affect every site on my server that is using that shared IP, wouldn't it?

#3 kers7754, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, adding an additional IP address and creating an account on it would ensure the content of that account would load on the IP address if it's not shared. Yes, changing the document root for the shared IP address would result in the new content loading for the shared IP address when accessed directly from a browser.

Thank you.