SOLVED DNS zones in WHM with Cloudflare?

oah

Jan 23, 2018
Iraq
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi
1- When I use cloud-flare as my name registrar (so its covers the DNS look-up part for me), do I still need the DNS zones in my WHM ?
if so what function will they provide? I am little confused here.

2- I also note that when I create a domain in WHM:
i will have something like this:

1570781389835.png

what does the ns1.test1234.org mean? and will it be ever used?
given that I have the "test1234.org" registered with cloud-flare's registrar.

If someone can provide a little explanation about the main concept for having a DNS zone when you have an external name-registrar like name.com or cloudflare?

Thx.

Attachments

cPanelLauren

Product Owner
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
1- When I use cloud-flare as my name registrar (so its covers the DNS look-up part for me), do I still need the DNS zones in my WHM ?
if so what function will they provide? I am little confused here.
Not necessarily but they are a good placeholder in the event you ever encounter an issue with CloudFlare and potentially have to begin hosting DNS locally. The DNS zone files are automatically created and should cause no issue being present when DNS is not hosted on the server.

I also note that when I create a domain in WHM:
i will have something like this:

1570781389835.png

what does the ns1.test1234.org mean? and will it be ever used?
given that I have the "test1234.org" registered with cloud-flare's registrar.
These are nameservers associated with the domain - NS zone files and there will also be A records if you choose to utilize those. If you're using CloudFlare though these shouldn't won't be used and won't have any effect if they're not utilized.

oah

Jan 23, 2018
Iraq
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Not necessarily but they are a good placeholder in the event you ever encounter an issue with CloudFlare and potentially have to begin hosting DNS locally. The DNS zone files are automatically created and should cause no issue being present when DNS is not hosted on the server.

These are nameservers associated with the domain - NS zone files and there will also be A records if you choose to utilize those. If you're using CloudFlare though these shouldn't won't be used and won't have any effect if they're not utilized.
Thank you so much. It makes much more sense now.

Reactions: cPanelLauren