The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dns zones

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by donbonner, Nov 22, 2003.

1. donbonner

donbonner Member

I need some advice and or guidance with dns zones. My problem is that I'm hosting websites on one server and hosting the mail for these websites on another server. DNS for the domains points to the server that hosts the mail for the domains. In turn the dns zone at that server points the www or A record (I'm assuming) to the machine which hosts the website. This machine is running cpanel the mail server is not. My problem is that one domain on the cpanel server can't send email to another domain on the cpanel server because the mail stays on the cpanel server and doesn't get routed to the proper mail server.

Now if you are wondering why I'm doing this it's long and complicated but the mail server among other things also scans email for viruses so my clients like to keep that server and the cpanel server doesn't.

Thanks for your time in this. I just need a simple course in dns zones I think.

2. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with a dns problem

Because your cpanel machine thinks the mail is local (it has this domain in /etc/localdomains /etc/userdomains and /etc/trueuserdomains) it thinks the mail belongs to the server.

This will not be trivial to fix, as cpanel will likely recopy the domain into those files at regular intervals, it might be easier to install antivirus/antispam capability on your cpanel server. I've done the web on one server/dns on another before myself, but I was lucky, for the following reasons:

1. the mail was on the cpanel server
    2. the dns was on the cpanel server
    3. That allowed me to add subdomains/etc on the mail end
    4. Adding web subdomains was not deemed a requirement
    5. My antivirus/antispam email controlled from the control panel was one of the reasons the client wanted to switch over, but I didn't offer a specific web feature required
      [/list=1]