The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dns

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by qbert1987, Feb 11, 2004.

1. qbert1987

qbert1987 Well-Known Member

Ive noticed that the bigger sites have 4 or 5 dns servers and i was woundering what the upside of this was. and if there was any upside to useing different ones apart from my own. and if i have mine and the planets, if i set 3 and 4 to thet planets will it have any point.

2. bamasbest

bamasbest Well-Known Member

An excellent resource for DNS related questions can be found at:
    http://www.acmebw.com/askmrdns/archive.php

But the short answer would be that having multiple nameservers on different class C's would allow for authoritative responses in case of failure.

As well, this can really help CYA in case your DC goes out of business or drops your for some reason. You can simply fire up another server at another DC, restore your sites from a backup, modify your zones to reflect new IP addresses and then sync with the "offsite" nameservers. Now your resold customers won't have to individually contact their registrars to modify their domains