dnsadmin running after 11.44 update

aww

Feb 10, 2005
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
We have a low memory server that has very infrequent dns changes so it makes no sense to have dnsadmin cache running

Did something change in 11.44 where it is enabled by default?

Because I see it running

I don't see it under chkconfig so it must be started by a cpanel process - maybe tailwatch?

Can we disable and how do we disable?

I should point out it is NOT checked in the service manager, it should not be starting by itself

Last edited:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello :)

It's normal to see that process running, even on earlier versions of cPanel. It's designed to improve performance. Are you experiencing issues with it using up excessive memory or CPU?

The following document is intended for information about custom dnsadmin modules, but it actually does a good job of explaining the purpose of dnsadmin on cPanel servers:

Pluggable dnsadmin Modules

Also, here is a quote from our release notes when it first became available to run as a service:

dnsadmin, the system that cPanel & WHM uses to perform DNS updates can now be run as a service (daemon). This eliminates the need for it to startup and shutdown each time a DNS change is made. During testing, it was able to process 22x as many DNS update requests in the same time. This should increase performance for users running DNSONLY.
Thank you.

aww

Feb 10, 2005
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Yes I am aware of it as an optional service.

Note the word *can* in your documentation, not the word must.

dns changes on this server happen maybe one a year at most

I guess one thing that I didn't think to try was to force it checked again in the service manager and then uncheck it, I guess something inside cpanel got out of sync between the UI selections and what actually runs. That is a little worrisome however, what if other services were out of sync with what was selected.

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Yes, enabling it, and then disabling it again via the "Service Manager" in WHM should help ensure it's disabled. I encourage you to submit a bug report regarding the "dnsadmin" service not accurately reflecting if it's enabled or disabled so we can take a closer look at your system to determine why that happened:

Submit A Bug Report

You can post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.