The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNSOnly installed but not syncing.

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mguindon10, Jun 19, 2007.

1. mguindon10

mguindon10 Active Member

Ok. I got a clean CentOS 4.5 build and was able to get DNSOnly installed and up and running. Now I followed the "guide" that cPanel has on how to cluster it to my cPanel.

They both were able to see eachother to do the cluster but when I try to sync the DNS records, it says it sync'ed and doesn't give me any errors but no DNS records show up on the DNSOnly server.

I checked named and nothing, just the original setup? Any ideas of where to start looking?

2. dspillett

dspillett Active Member

I've not been able to get DNSOnly working recently either.

When I try set the relationship from the main server I get:
    Code:
    Trust Relationship Has Been Established
    The remote server is running WHM version: 10.8.0
    but this is followed by:
    Code:
    The trust relationship could not be established from the remote server to this server. You must login to the remote server and add this server to it's cluster manager.
    When I go to the cluster management page on the DNSOnly install I get a blank page. Something does seem to happen (there is a pause while the browser waits for a response), but no output seems to come through.

When trying to sync anyway, I get the behaviour described above.

In this case these are both (the main server and the DNS only one) brand new installs on CentOS4.5. The main server is running v11 (release tree) and the DNS slave claims to be up-to-date when I ask it to update itself, though the main page suggests it is not (it warns of a privilege escalation problem, and suggests I run an update).

I had this problem when trying to move my secondary DNs to a different VM about a month (maybe two) ago, back when I was running v10 (also release tree) un the main box. I gave up at that point as I was pushed fo rtime, and kept the earlier setup. I've moved to a new server now (hence the main box is a fresh install) and got a new VPS sat ready to be the secondary DNS server, but it won't play ball...

[I might just give up on DNSOnly and roll my own secondary DNS setup. It can't be too hard to rig up a regular "check for updates, send via rsync, restart server at the other end" script. I could have Etch on the VPS too, I prefer Debian to RedHat and variants...]

3. dspillett

dspillett Active Member

Additional: Running
    Code:
    /scripts/upcp
    seems to do more then the update from the web interface, but the end result is the same - nothing visibly changes (still getting apparent out-of-date-ness on the web interface, and the configure cluster page still doesn't work).

4. mguindon10

mguindon10 Active Member

I tried /scripts/upcp --force and still the same issue.

This is what I am running and to be honest I don't know if it's the beta or not.
    WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-DNS74
    CentOS 4.5 i686 - WHM X v3.1.0

5. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

If you guys are using DNSONLY-beta, then move back to just DNSONLY. I had a lot of problems with the beta version (only reason I installed it was because the installer for the non-beta version has issues with Compress::Zlib).

6. jrehmer

jrehmer Well-Known Member

Do you have any output in /usr/local/cpanel/logs/error_log?

7. mguindon10

mguindon10 Active Member

A reboot after doing the /scripts/upcp --force seems to have got it working. I did a "sync all local" and it pulled all the records. I checked /etc/named.conf and they are all there, I also was able to goto /var/named and see all the db records and they are correct.

The only downside is I can't see the records from the whm interface but as long as I can see them in named I guess I'm all good. Thanks for listening to me complain haha. :D

8. dspillett

dspillett Active Member

I'm using the only version listed at http://layer1.cpanel.net/
    Is this the right version, or the beta?
    It calls itself "WHM 10.8.0 cPanel 10.8.2-DNS74".

I have found an error in the log file though: the module Tie/IxHash.pm couldn't be found.
    Perl was at version 5.8.5, so I tried to bump it up to 5.8.8 by installing with http://layer1.cpanel.net/perl588installer.tar.gz.

But... That fails when trying to get SpamAssassin:
    Code:
    Fetching with LWP:
      http://mirror.hiwaay.net/CPAN/authors/id/J/JM/JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin [-] 3.2.1 [.] tar.gz

LWP failed with code[404] message[Not Found]

Trying with "/usr/bin/wget -O /home/.cpan/sources/authors/id/J/JM/JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin [-] 3.2.1 [.] tar.tmp4847" to get
        http://mirror.hiwaay.net/CPAN/authors/id/J/JM/JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin [-] 3.2.1 [.] tar.gz

http://[-]: Invalid IPv6 numeric address.
    --15:50:39--  http://3.2.1/
               => `/home/.cpan/sources/authors/id/J/JM/JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin'
    Resolving 3.2.1... 3.2.0.1
    Connecting to 3.2.1|3.2.0.1|:80... failed: Connection timed out.
    Retrying.

--15:53:49--  http://3.2.1/
      (try: 2) => `/home/.cpan/sources/authors/id/J/JM/JMASON/Mail-SpamAssassin'
    Connecting to 3.2.1|3.2.0.1|:80...
    It waits for some time before each retry, and when left along for some time it tried 14 times before I tried to kill wget to see if it would move on and ignore what module. Kill wget just causes the script to rerun it. ctrl-C on the over-all process itself seems to result in more happening, but obviously this leave perl in a non-complete state and there are different errors in the log after requesting clusterstatus.cgi.

To be frank, I'm done wasting my time on DNSOnly, and will instead wipe that VM back down and put something together myself. Getting two DNS servers to work together should not be this much effort.