The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNSonly questions

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Nick57, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Nick57

Nick57 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hi,

I want to use DNSonly servers to avoid the problem of creating for each server 2 name servers and avoiding all sort of problems with this configuration.

I am installing a dnsonly server for testing purpose now and in step 4 it comes with the question name server, now my questions are do i need to give 2 name servers here and use 2 IPs. I assume these name servers are for the dnsonly server purpose only! is this correct? Is it possible to use only 1 IP because some VPS come with only 1 IP...

Then how to create for the customers only their name servers?
    I would like to have for each VPS one name server for the customer.
    Will this be something as follow, I create a name server ( domain tool) and point this to the main ip of dnsonly server?

Many thanks for any feedback.

2. pratapsingh

pratapsingh Active Member

It is better to use two different IP of different block so that if one is not available for some time other will be available . Otherwise You can use single server with two Ip assigned for nameserver .

You may find the better solution here
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/setting-up-dns-nameserver-using-whm-root-68701.html
    http://forums.cpanel.net/f5/how-migrate-move-transfer-reseller-accounts-using-whm-108641.html
    How to setup your own name servers in WHM/cpanel | The Web Hosting Resource Kit

I hope this helps .

3. Nick57

Nick57 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    ok, I got 2 ips now from my dc but in same range :-( xx.xx.xx.19 and xx.xx.xx.27 )

I want to give my customers the dns1.domain.name to use as the 1st name server for their hosting.

Q: should the server have the hostname dns1.domain.name?

Q: step4 is asking for 2 name servers on this dnsonly server, this can be any name servers for example, ns1.domain.name and ns2.domain.name?

Sorry, the penny is still not dropped :)

4. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

Having both DNS servers on your single Cpanel hosting server does not cause any problems whatsoever except for the sole item that should your web server go down then you are completely down until you come back online.

There is however no technical problems with running both of your
    DNS server addresses from a single Cpanel server.

If you want to setup an external DNS Only server that is cluster connected
    to your main server then I recommend getting a spare server on different
    network than your current main hosting server at a geographically unique
    location separate from your current server's location.

You would normally setup your main web hosting server IP as one of the DNS server addresses and then setup the second DNS server address as the IP address of your DNS ONLY server.

Your question is so mixed up here, I don't follow what you are asking.

You setup a nameserver on each machine and then set your main server to cluster update the DNS Only server, that's really all there is to it!

5. Nick57

Nick57 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks ever so much for replying, sorry about my confusing questions, but the trouble is that I don't understand it very well.

The main reason for this dnsonly is that we moved some customers to another server and they didn't reply to our emails to change their name servers, when the old server died their websites went down. Of course this is no good at all so I am looking for this construction now.

Reading your advice i will set-up at least 2 dnsonly servers (geo spread) and in different DCs.

Now my main problem is that when setting up this DNSonly server I run into errors ( confusing) with step 4. I suppose this DNSonly server needs to have it's own 2 name servers running, right? Now this is were I go into the fog...

Do I need to create 2 complete different (new) name servers with the IPs of this VPS?

What about the hostname?
    Can the hostname be location.domain.org

I hope you understand were I am going wrong with this. :)

Thanks for your time.