The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNSOnly - Responding Non-Authoritative

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by szettervall, Oct 10, 2007.

1. szettervall

szettervall Member

I have a single WHM/CPANEL server running with a CPANEL DNSOnly server.

Today I replaced the DNSOnly server with a new serer running FedoraCore6 and installed the latest DNSOnly software. I configured my cluster and synced all zones to all servers. All the zones files were transfered to the /var/named on the new DNSOnly server.

The DNSOnly server now responds with proper information for all zones but it responds as "non-authoritative" for zones which were synchronized. If I add a test zone to the primary cpanel/whm server, then the DNSOnly server responds as authoritative.

Their seems to be a bug/problem with the synchronized zones. Any suggestions?

-ScottZ

2. cPanelNick

cPanelNick Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    /scripts/fixnamedviews --force

3. szettervall

szettervall Member

Thanks for the suggestion.

I ran suggested command as root on the cpanel-dnsonly server and it ran with no output. I restarted bind, still non-authoritative answer.

Suggested command did not modify /etc/named.conf file

named.conf appears to be missing references to synchronized zones. Any suggestions other than manually adding a hundred zone refernces?

-ScottZ

4. szettervall

szettervall Member

I manually updated named.conf to correct this behavior. Its a bug/problem cpanel might want to address.

-Scott

5. zhongshan

zhongshan Registered

Same thing

I have the same problem here.

Any solution?

6. reto4

reto4 Registered

i have the same problem. named.conf does not contain references to the zones. only if "recursion" is set to "yes" on "view internal" it works.
    this means only if the primary namserver are online it works, thats bad.

#6 reto4, Dec 3, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  7. wizzy420

wizzy420 Well-Known Member

This happened to me about a month ago after a fresh install. It was working great, then I rebuilt a server w/ CentOS 5.2 and a fresh DNSOnly install.

All hell broke loose.

Opened a ticket but no one @ cPanel could figure it out -- though it was right after the hurricane and they were in a pinch. Hacked up the named.conf file so it would work.

My DNSOnly name servers are still walking around on crutches.

W

8. apscinsspl

apscinsspl Well-Known Member

Hello,

The error: "non-authoritative"
    occurs when a DNS request is sent to a DNS server and the zone is not present on that server. Due which DNS server replies that he has no permission to query about that zone (non-authoritative).

Now in your case the error is occuring for the zones which you moved or synchronized. I would suggest you to just run:
    /scripts/fixrndc which will rebuild the named and all zones will be loaded in DNS server and the error will be eliminated.