The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dnsonly server for all vps cpanel customers

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by CoolMike, Aug 6, 2009.

1. CoolMike

CoolMike Well-Known Member

Hi

We would like to offer VPS servers with cpanel. My plan was, that each vps has one IP address. On this IP address the customer run a own nameserver (ns1) with cpanel.

As a 2nd nameserver I thought I could use dnsonly and set the dnsonly server to standalone for all VPS servers. On the VPS self I choosed "synchronise changes" to the dnsonly server.

I hope you know what I mean, at the end each customer would use nameservers like this:

VPS1:
    ns1.customer1.com
    dnsonly.myhostingcompany.com

VPS2:
    ns1.customer2.com

VPS3:
    ns1.customer3.com

But the problem is, that now every customer can see all dns zones of the other customer when he click on "edit dns zone" in whm.

What is wrong in my idea? Or how do you sell VPS with cpanel and offer a 2nd nameserver offserver?

Thanks
    Michael

2. CoolMike

Is nobody selling VPS with an additional nameserver?

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    This is the design of the DNS Clustering in cPanel. A full root trust relationship exists between the central DNS server and the local server. By association the local server also has access to the zones of the other member servers.

4. CoolMike

Hi

Thanks a lot for the explenation. But how are other VPS provider selling cpanel with VPS? Are they offering only one IP and both nameservers are running on this ip? This works maybe to host a com domain but not with some european domains like .de. Therefore I'm looking to offer a 2nd nameserver to my vps customer and need a solution which just synchronises the zones from the vps to the 2nd nameserver and not back.

Michael

5. robbie_troster

robbie_troster Well-Known Member

Most VPS Providers nowadays offer 2 IPs 1 IP for ns1 and 1 IP for ns2

You don't need a external DNS for your customers at all.

If they only offer 1 IP, then you can use it for both ns1 and ns2 without any problems.

It allows you to host any TLD not just .com - if your having problems with TLDs not resolving to the IP then I would take that up with your system administrator.

6. CoolMike

Hi

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately to host a .de domain you need nameservers which have IP addresses in different subnets. So the solution with one ip would not work.

I don't understand why it is so hard to push the dns zonefiles only in one direction. I thought that's the reason to choose between "Standalone" and "Syncronise".

Michael