The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNSOnly...

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dansgalaxy, Dec 14, 2010.

1. dansgalaxy

dansgalaxy Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am considering reinstalling my streaming server and putting cPanel DNSOnly on there partly so I can add it to my DNS cluster but also to make it a little easier to manage.

Is there a DNSOnly Demo somewhere I can checkout and compare? (I know its free but I don't want to have to install before finding something wont work).

Also is it at all possible to have DNSOnly hosting just 1 account? Or Have a free full which only hosts 1?

Its just where it is a streaming server all it has on it is 1 web account which hosts the control panel for the shoutcast users, but because it is on a cheap dedicated server if I want cPanel to make it a little easier and a little more friendly with my other servers (all VPS based) it'll cost me £25 which is simply too much when I am not even using it to host websites! :(

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We do not have a demo online for cPanel DNS-only, but it is simply a scaled-back implementation of the WebHost Manager. You log into the WHM as normal, but the list of functions is very limited, and only basic server configuration and service restart options are available.

Note that cPanel DNS-only is meant to be used in a cluster with other servers with "full" WHM/cPanel installations. Because of this, cPanel DNS-only does not contain any functions for adding, editing or removing DNS zones. This is meant to be done on a full WHM/cPanel server, which then synchronizes the changes to the DNS-only server. If you want to have a stand-alone DNS-only server that is not part of a cPanel DNS cluster, this may not be a good option for you.

There is no limit to the number of DNS zones that can be hosted on a DNS-only server, but there is no way in the WHM interface to manage DNS zones. It must be part of a cluster with full WHM/cPanel servers. All of the DNS zone management is meant to be done on the full WHM/cPanel servers, for synchronization with one or more DNS-only servers.

Our overview for cPanel DNS-only is available here:

Related Server Software - cPanel Inc.

Our documentation for cPanel DNS-only is available here:

Quick Start Installation Guide
    Guide to DNS Cluster Configuration