The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dnsqueue segfault

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by Spork Schivago, May 25, 2016.

1. Spork Schivago

Spork Schivago Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hello,

I'm not sure this is the right sub-forum here. If it's not, I apologize. I got an e-mail 14 hours ago that worries me a bit. This is what it says:

subject: Cron <root@franklin> /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsqueue > /dev/null 2>&1

body: /bin/sh: line 1: 24993 Segmentation fault /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsqueue > /dev/null 2>&1

Did something change recently? I've never received this message before. I can't think of anything I've done recently with the server...not even sure what dnsqueue is. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The "/usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsqueue" script runs on set intervals as part of the root cron jobs:

Code:
     crontab -l|grep dns
    5,20,35,50 * * * * /usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsqueue > /dev/null 2>&1
    Do you continue to notice error messages when running "/usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsqueue" manually via the command line, and have you received any additional notifications regarding this error?

Thank you.

Spork Schivago likes this.
  3. Spork Schivago

Spork Schivago Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thanks for the response. Sorry for the delay in responding. We're in the process of buying a house so things are very hectic around here. I have not tried running the command manually. Should I try to manually run it? I'm not sure what the command actually does. However, I have not received any more errors from it. If it's being ran from a crontab entry, I'd like to think it's running successfully now. The question though is why did it segfault? What the heck changed? I don't really do anything with the server yet. I just leave it alone and pay the bill. So, what changed? Was it cPanel upgrading and something broke? Was someone trying to get in by exploiting it?

This had me a bit worried. I couldn't find much information on this program. I tried man dnsqueue and info dnsqueue. I didn't get anything. I believe this is a cPanel program used for DNS Clustering (whatever that is). If I don't use DNS Clustering or if I don't have DNS Clustering setup, could I disable the crontab entry? I have learned over the years sometimes it's best to disable programs and services you don't use because if you don't, once in a great while, someone finds away to exploit them.

Thanks!

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

It's difficult to pinpoint the reason for the error message, as your response suggests the issue is now addressed. Typically, this will happen when the process is killed by a third-party application or due to lack of resources.

As far as what "/usr/local/cpanel/whostmgr/bin/dnsqueue" does, it's checking on the status of zone changes that are queued for the cluster. You can leave this cron job enabled even with clustering disabled, as it shouldn't result in additional load.

Thank you.