The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More. and PTR/Helo error

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by ddmobley, May 29, 2006.

1. ddmobley

ddmobley Member

May 13, 2006
    I have set my server up with the primary nameserver and hostname resolving to the primary IP address. The secondary IP address is resolved to the secondary nameserver. Starting with the third IP address on the server, this is where the virtual sites reside, sharing this IP address.

At, I get a failure for the MX records of virtual sites not having a reverse PTR set up for for this third IP address. There is a reverse PTR set up for the primary IP address which resolves to the hostname. I also get a failure because the SMTP greeting doesn't match, stating the mailserver name claims to be the hostname.

If I edit the zonefiles for a particular virtual site and change the IP address of the mailserver for that domain to be the primary IP address of the server, the error and warning goes away. I have sent mail in and out from the server for that domain, so it appears email is working properly being set up that way.

Is there any concerns to having the mailserver IP address set to the primary IP of the server and domain running off the third IP address?