The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNSreport.com says "Need Mail SPF Record"

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by bmcpanel, Jul 29, 2004.

1. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

Checked dns on my Cpanel server domain at www.dnsreport.com. It reported the following in the results.

---------------------------------------
    WARNING
    Your domain does not have an SPF record. This means that spammers can easily send out E-mail that looks like it came from your domain, which can make your domain look bad (if the recipient thinks you really sent it), and can cost you money (when people complain to you, rather than the spammer). You may want to add an SPF record before October 1, 2004, the target date for domains to have SPF records in place.
    ---------------------------------------

Why does Cpanel not support this? Will it be supported? How can I add an SPF record?

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Go here: http://spf.pobox.com/. There is a site based wizard that makes it fairly easy to construct an SPF record. Adding support for Exim using the MTA patch is something I have yet to investigate.
    BTW - the SPF record addition at dnsreport.com is fairly recent.
    HTH

3. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

Thanks. I found the site after doing a search for SPF at www.hotbot.com. Followed the guidelines and added the SPF to my domain record. Tested it and all is well. Now, if only Cpanel would do this automatically for my other 3,000 hosted domains, that would be nice. I don't forsee doing this manually for our customers :(

4. FriedEgg

FriedEgg Active Member

There isn't an easy way for cpanel to generate automatic CORRECT records for every domain. Everyone is different. Some people send their email via their ISP servers, some people send their mail from work, etc, and they won't always be using their mail server for that domain. SPF records allow users to specify the different places they plan to use their records.

In the future, CPanel could probably support some sort of wizard to allow users to add them themselves. But for right now, SPF records aren't mandatory, and most people still aren't even aware of them.