The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DNSreports and DNSstuff.com

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mickalo, Aug 5, 2005.

1. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

hello,

I've used dnsreports and dnsstuff.com to check various domains and email accounts on our server for trouble shooting purposes in the past with no problems. But recently I noticed, that any domain or email account on our server, that I attempt too check, they keep timing out and can't connect to the mail server.

We are running the most recent stable cpanel release with Exim 4.50 and APF 0.9.5 firewall. Tried shutting down the firewall too see if it was being block but that made no difference. So I was just curious why this would be happing an if there is something I need to change on our server too allow dsnreports and dnsstuff.com communicate with our server. As far as I know we have no other problems with the server or email problems, but just one of those things that kind of really bug you :)

thx's
    Mickalo

2. spector

spector Well-Known Member

If your mailserver is running and accesible from internet, then problem lies not on your site but on dnsstuff etc of course. Check your mailserver response by telnet, portscan, etc etc etc

3. nickb

nickb Well-Known Member

A simple tracerout to server will show every thing. Its also possible mailserver is doing something upon connection perhaps a reverse DNS lookup and/or running spam tests on the connecting IP causing tarpitting.

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'd tend to agree with spector. While dnsstuff.com and dnsreports.com are good for some purposes, they should not be relied upon to be accurate (I've found them to be unreliable quite frequently). If you are sending and receiving email without problems, then the problem is clearly theirs.

If the sites say that everything is OK, then it probably is. If it says there is a problem, test in another way as they could easily be wrong.

5. mickalo

mickalo Well-Known Member

thanks, appreciate the feedback. :)

Mickalo