The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do addon domains increase server load more?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimjoe, May 11, 2004.

1. jimjoe

jimjoe Well-Known Member

Might an addon domain increase server load more than just creating a separate account for the domain, since it requires a sub-domain to be created first, and then have the addon domain name parked on that sub-domain?

I've noticed that parked domains seem to increase server loads - i guess cause cpanel has to sort thru all domains, whether real or parked to take care of business?

2. darksoul

darksoul Active Member

3. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

The only way it will cause load is that it becomes very active. It will fall under the same constraints the master domain does though.

4. jimjoe

jimjoe Well-Known Member

What i meant, and didn't say specifically, was that i noticed parked domains increase load even IF they don't have any activicty at all - just the fact that they are listed in cpanel.

Just like if i add more accounts - even if there is no activity from them, the load goes up just by having them listed as accounts.

So that's why i wondered if having addons listed as subdomains AND then having to be parked would double the stress on the server, regardless of activity/bw from the domain in question.

5. darksoul

darksoul Active Member

Thats just wrong.
    The load created by an extra domain with no activity should
    be close to 0.
    If its not like that, then something is wrong with your server
    but you're looking in the wrong place.

6. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

If they aren't receiving activity then they aren't creating load. Anytime you click Service Status you are running a graphical top program basically and you are causing extra load. That is why it changes every time you click the link. Also, if you lick the Apache Status over and over you can actually see you load go up.

Install an item such as MRTG to get a better representation of your loads. Addon, parked and sub-domains do not cause extra load unless they are being accessed.