Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I need to specify "INBOX" as root folder path?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by electric, Sep 8, 2017.

1. electric

electric Well-Known Member

This is probably going to be a stupid question... but...

When setting up an IMAP account in Outlook 2016 (Windows 10), I used the autodiscover to automatically setup the account. After it was added, I see on the left-side pane that the various folders like sent/drafts/trash/junk were listed as being "under" the Inbox folder.

Is this normal?

To "fix" this, I edited the IMAP account properties in Outlook 2016 and set the "Root Path Folder" to "INBOX". So now in the left-side pane, I see all the folders as being equal level. (The special folders are no longer "under" the inbox.)

Am I going to break something by doing this? Is there some advantage for *not* specifying the INBOX root folder path, so all folders are on the same level? (Why would we want the special folders to be "under" the inbox?)

Thanks!

2. webhostuk

webhostuk Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    They are under the inbox folder to specify that that trash /draft/ junk folder are for that specific account say xyz@abc.com is that account, if you add another account say asd@abc.com how do you expect to differentiate ,which of the folder belongs to which account. So the right structure is inbox for that account and under it you will have / trash/draft etc for that account.
    I think you should not mess with this structure.

3. sysdop

sysdop Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The folders you make from the web mail will always be displayed inside the folder inbox so it is normal to see the structuring of the folders all below the inbox. You can customize it to your liking with a little knowledge based on exim.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The previous posts are correct. Let us know if you have any additional questions.

Thank you.

5. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Will anything bad happen if I do specify "INBOX" as the root folder path, so the email program (Outlook 2016) shows the folders on the same level, instead of under the inbox?

Will doing that break the mailbox or cause any technical problems?

6. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    That's a email client setting so it should not affect server-level email delivery.

Thank you.