The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do name servers require own DNS zone

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by pcgh, May 13, 2015.

1. pcgh

pcgh Active Member

I recently moved to a new provider and dedicated server. The new provider handled the migration but mis-typed the domain name for the name servers. UGH.

In "Basic cPanel & WHM Setup" I fixed the name, assigned the IPs, added the A entry for the proper name.

Everything seems to be working but in "DNS Functions / Edit DNS Zone" I see ns1.wrongdomain.com and ns2.wrongdomain.com. So basically subdomains for the mis-typed name servers.

I do not see similar entries for ns1.correctdomain.com or ns2.correctdomain.com. However, the DNS zone for correctdomain.com does have NS and A entries for ns1 and ns2.

I tried to create DNS zones for ns1.correctdomain.com and ns2.correctdomain.com but it says "a DNS entry for ns1.correctdomain.com already exists."

Is that okay? Or do I need to create separate DNS zones for ns1 and ns2?

Thank you for the help!

Tony

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You do not have to create any additional "A" records or zones because the entries already exist in the DNS zone of the domain name associated with the correct name server. You can delete the existing zones for the wrong name servers.

Thank you.

3. pcgh

pcgh Active Member

Very good. Thank you, Michael!