The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Not Send failure Message

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by keat63, Jun 29, 2017.

1. keat63

keat63 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Is it possible to have a config where by exim doesn't send a failure message when sent to a particular address.

eg:

spam@mydomain.com recieves a number of emails, but spam@mydomain.com does not exist. Subsequently exim is sending out a failure message "email address does not exist"

Under normal circumstances, this would be OK, however, it seems that who ever or whatever is sending these emails doesn't exist either or are spoofed senders.
    This results in a large number of emails being frozen or queued.

Is it possible to have exim not respond to these, ie fail without a failure message.

I guess I could create the account and then have everything fall in to a black hole, but i'm under the impression that this is not a good idea. ??

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

You can setup the "Default Address" option for this domain name in cPanel to "Discard" the message without sending a notice:

Default Address - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Or, you could setup a filter that discards messages from individual email accounts if you prefer not to set this up for the full domain name. There's a thread on this topic at:

Preventing backscatter

Thank you.