Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you recommend/use MariaDB or MySQL?

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by electric, Oct 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. electric

electric Well-Known Member

Hello,

As the topic asks, do you use and recommend MariaDB or MySQL for your hosting servers?

(I've read a lot about the two systems, and so now I'm just curious what "real world" people thing of them.)

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

The following page compares the features offered in MariaDB vs MySQL:

MariaDB versus MySQL - Features

You will see that MariaDB 10.0 is officially recommended by cPanel when browsing to "WHM Home » Software » MySQL/MariaDB Upgrade" with mention of the new features offered on that version.

I'll leave this thread open for other users to add their feedback.

Thank you.

3. mtindor

mtindor Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    All of my servers run MariaDB 10.x, and most previously ran MySQL. I have no numbers to give you, but in my mind MariaDB is magnitudes more efficent and provides much better performance. I had numerous sites with custom scripts that would bring the MySQL process to 100% CPU usage regularly -- probably because of inefficient queries and such. But as soon as I switched to MariaDB, those sites never cause an issue anymore -- and the queries on those sites return nearly instant results -- and on MySQL those same queries took many seconds to return results.

I'm happy with MariaDB.

Mike

SageBrian and cPanelMichael like this.
  4. SysSachin

SysSachin Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello,

We are using MariaDB on our too many clients server. We noticed that MariaDB is much improved query optimizer and many other performance related improvements.

I would like to recommend you to use MariaDB on your server

SageBrian and cPanelMichael like this.
  5. verdon

verdon Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    ...and this 'should' be transparent to your clients?

6. WebHostPro

WebHostPro Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Any issues with upgrading to Maria DB or was the upgrade pretty seamless?

7. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'd say that it would be transparent for many, perhaps most. However, on one particular server that I manage for a client, the client had a ton of old Joomla 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5 sites. For whatever reason, after conversion to MariaDB, I had issues with some of the old Joomla sites.

1. On a couple of sites, the Docman stuff in the old Joomla quit working (could not upload documents).

This was because /usr/my.cnf on a MariaDB server has by default:

sql_mode=NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION,STRICT_TRANS_TABLES

And I couldn't use the STRICT_TRANS_TABLES directive and support those ancient sites. I had to change sql_mode to:

sql_mode=NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION,NO_ZERO_IN_DATE,NO_ZERO_DATE,ERROR_FOR_DIVISION_BY_ZERO

NOTE: I do not recommend that anybody do that. Obviously the strict_trans_tables directive in place for a reason. But it caused troubles for those sites that I Xpress Transferred from a cPanel server running MySQL 5.6 to a cPanel server running Maria DB 10.00 until I modified the sql_mode.

2. On quite a few of the Joomla sites, apostrophes were and some other normal characters were replaced with strange characters

I'm running CL on all servers. This turned out to be an issue with these particular old flaky Joomla sites having been Xpress transferred from a CL/cPanel/MySQL 5.6 box to a CL/cPanel/MariaDB 10 box as well.

In this case though, for the specific sites, I had to disable the mysql mysqli, and pdo_mysql modules in PHP Selector and enable the nd_mysql, nd_mysqli and nd_pdo_mysql modules.

NOTE: This only happened on a bunch of ancient Joomla sites, all belonging to the same customer.

Aside from those things listed above, I have never had any issue with new accounts being added to MariaDB 10.0 server, or with migrating hundreds of other accounts (using Xpress Transfer) from a MySQL server to a MariaDB 10.0 server. I had done account transfers from CL/cPanel/MySQL 5.6 servers to CL/cPanel/MariaDB 10.0 servers many times before I transferred those particular Joomla sites, and I have transferred countless accounts from CL/cPanel/MySQL 5.6 servers to CL/cPanel/MariaDB 10.0 servers since I transferred those Joomla sites. I've never encountered a single issue aside from transferring those ancient Joomla sites with Docman and a bunch of other components on them.

MariaDB is supposed to be a drop-in replacement. But you can't ever expect that switching 100s of customers will result in zero problems and 100% satisfaction every time.

And the good news is that even on those Joomla sites that weren't working until I made changes, the main parts of all of the sites actually worked -- some sites just displayed weird characters instead of apostrophes, and on other sites the client wasn't able to upload documents using Docman. So it's not like I had a server full of screaming customers. I had time to figure it out.

If you are good with a Google search, you'll see where these issues were documented on a website somewhere else by me. But I won't post the website here.

Mike

SageBrian, verdon and Infopro like this.
  8. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    On four servers, I never had a single issue performing the MySQL 5.6 to MySQL 10.0 upgrade. I did have a couple of small problems related to ancient Joomla sites that were migrated from a MySQL 5.6 server to a MariaDB 10.0 server -- see my previous response to Verdon.

Granted, four servers isn't 1000 servers. But I had a significant number of customer accounts on each of four servers and didn't have any issue with the actual upgrade. It went smooth.

Mike

verdon likes this.
  9. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hmmm, so switching to MariaDb might help push those last few holdouts on upgrading their Joomla sites.
    I wonder if it messes with some of the ancient old Wordpress sites also.

Keep in mind that many people refuse to upgrade. I had a call last month that was asking for help with their email.... in Outlook Express! It's 2016, and he's proud to still be on XP with Outlook Express. Proud, as if all the advancements in tech and security are all just marketing gimmicks.

10. mtindor

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Anything that can be done to force the hand of people running ancient Joomla can't be all bad :) I haven't seen an issue with Wordpress sites, but I think I only have one Wordpress account running something ancient like 2.x -- and I don't see any problems with the site after it had already been migrated.

Insane, isn't it? Truth be told, for a long time I continued running an XP instance (Inside Windows 7 or Vista with that XP Mode thing). When I switched to Win10, that was no longer available and I had to suck it up.

Technical enhancements or not, OE worked 100x better than Outlook does from a performance/reliability standpoint. One wrong move on Outlook and boom, there goes your PST file getting corrupted. And of course MS's solution to corrupt PST files is to run a utility that simply chops out the corrupt part of the PST (including 1 to a million emails) as part of the "fix". You don't have that in OE. I get why people would still want to use it.

Mike