The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DocumentRoot

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ChrisRiley, Apr 14, 2005.

1. ChrisRiley

ChrisRiley Member

This is definitely a new user question. I am moving from WebMin to cPanel and can't figure out where to set the document root for various domains.

Obviously I can edit it by hand in /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf but the benefit of WebMin (and presumably cPanel) is to minimize the amount of hand editing required.

So, where on cPanel do I set the DocumentRoot for various names?

Thanks!

2. RickG

RickG Well-Known Member

Hi Chris:

By default the DocumentRoot for accounts is:

/home/AccountName/public_html

Does that help?

3. ChrisRiley

ChrisRiley Member

Thanks for the reply. :)

I did know the default, but what I was hoping to find in cPanel - I've looked in the manual and forums etc - is where you would set the viritual hosts for a domain to something besides the default. e.g. something like /var/www/pages/<virtual host directories for each domain>

I am moving from a server with WebMin with about 100+ domains and would prefer to not have to create an account for each and then set up a directory for each since it makes it difficult for one person to modify them all due to permissions.

I tried using the "Add On" domains, but I continually get messages like "could not be modified because it does not resolve to a valid ip address. Please ask the system admin to check their resolv.conf and their dns trust relationship Ignore any messages of success this can only result in failure! "

Now, I know it resolves to a valid IP because I get 100000s of thousands of hits per day. It resolves to the current (being replaced) server.

I am wondering if my perspective is incorrect and I am going at it from the wrong due to being familiar with the command line and WebMin. :)

Thanks!

4. haze

haze Well-Known Member

Change the path of your home directory within WHM via "tweak settings".

5. ChrisRiley

ChrisRiley Member

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am looking at this option, "Main >> Server Setup >> Tweak Settings" and don't see anything about home directory in there. I will have to keep looking I guess.

:)

6. haze

haze Well-Known Member

"edit setup" my bad.