The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does cPanel replace apache, mysql, php on the linux oses its installed on ?

Discussion in 'EasyApache' started by unity200, Apr 17, 2012.

1. unity200

unity200 Member

I have been told that cPanel replaces apache, php and mysql on the linux installation it is installed upon, with its own versions, and runs them instead of the distro ones. like a little commercial distro.

however another of my colleagues says it does not do that, and instead runs the apache, php and mysql binaries which come with the os distro.

Which one is correct ?

2. dalem

dalem Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Re: Does cPanel replace apache, mysql, php on the linux oses its installed

pache, php build from source mysql rpms from their repository

your friend is wrong

3. unity200

unity200 Member

So, apache, mysql and php are built from the repositories of the installed os, and not overwritten with cpanel's own ones, right ?

Then it doesnt overwrite them with its own, but it does not leave the already installed apache, mysql and php in place either - it builds them from scratch according to its own options and configuration files while cpanel is being installed ?

4. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

cPanel will build Apache and PHP from source and use those. It doesn't remove the installed rpms if those exist, but they should not exist already. MySQL is installed using rpms, but not the vendor supplied rpms. We nowadays are using the ones by CloudLinux even on non-CloudLinux machines (and why you'll see .cloud on the ones installed).

May we ask what you are needing to do that requires this information? If we know why, we might be better able to get you going in the right direction.

5. unity200

unity200 Member

i should understand this to be cpanel will build apache from the source rpms that are present in linux repositories for that os ? or does it go further ? ie - doesnt use distro rpms in distro repository and builds directly from apache source ?

Yes thats what i knew. when installing cpanel on my standalone box from a 3rd party supplier, i had been told not to have apache, mysql and any other server binary related to web hosting because cpanel would bring and compile its own. i had had followed that route and it worked perfectly.

i see, so mysql is not being installed by using distro rpms.

well, its a technical question.

long time ago i had had ventured to install mod_layout on a cpanel installed server, and during that escapade learned that cpanel compiled and replaced distro's apache. because of that i had some issues. after that in various hosting related settings i have been told that cpanel replaces some services, and have known and acted accordingly since, without any problems.

however last night, during an ESXI installation which later would get a VDS running centos + cpanel among some other VDSes, a friend/colleague insisted that cpanel did not replace o/s installed/distributed apache, mysql and php, and told that it acted like webmin/virtualmin. (ie it didnt touch anything on the os distro).

Therefore i decided to ascertain the answer to that question, and hence the thread.

#5 unity200, Apr 17, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  6. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

To my knowledge, we do not use the distro from the OS vendor for Apache and PHP at all. We use source builds from Apache and PHP.

7. unity200

unity200 Member

Alright tristan. That clears it up.

Thank you.