The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Cpanel support the XFS (journaling file system) ?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by caraugus, Aug 6, 2010.

1. caraugus

caraugus Registered

Hello,

We have a client that wants to use XFS (journaling file system) in a new email server in order to handling large files and at offering smooth data transfers. We would like to offer Cpanel as Management solution for domains and email accounts.

Could you please confirm us if Cpanel supports that kind of file system (XFS journaling file system) ? or if can we have any other solution for it?

Thank you for your assistance.

Carlos

2. ffeingol

ffeingol Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I don't think cPanel would care (or even know) that you are using XFS. Most people will use EXT3 which is also a journaling file system. All cPanel cares is that quotas can be enabled (if you want quotas).

3. cPanelKenneth

cPanelKenneth cPanel Development
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    A file system must also support locking to be compatible with cPanel.

4. sneader

sneader Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I'm waiting for a crashed server to finish the LONG fsck checks, and wondered if cPanel supported JFS, XFS or other journaling file system, which does not need FSCK after a crash... and found this thread.

Is anyone out there using JFS or XFS with cPanel? Any comments appreciated... it seems the worst part of getting a server back online these days is waiting for the darn FSCK's to finish (but you must let them, to make sure you don't have issues...)

- Scott

5. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    As an addendum, we are already using a journaling file system... EXT3. According to the Wikipedia entry for EXT3, "Its main advantage over ext2 is journaling which improves reliability and eliminates the need to check the file system after an unclean shutdown."

Yet, after last night's crash (power supply failure, knocked out the motherboard), our data center said fsck found a lot of orphaned inodes.

Contradictory information, it would seem. Reality vs wiki. I hope someone smarter than me will comment on this and help me to understand better. :)

- Scott

6. s1y

s1y Registered

How was the EXT3 partition mounted? - data=writeback , data=ordered, data=journal ?

7. sneader

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks for the note, s1y. Can you tell me how I might find out? Not seeing it in fstab.

- Scott