Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Does cPanel update reset permissions in home folder?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trucmuche, Aug 29, 2018.

1. trucmuche

trucmuche Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Some weeks ago, I ran a "chmod +x" to add execution rights to the 'subdomain.domain.com' subfolder of /home/useraccount. But some days ago, I saw that the permissions have been reinitialized to drwxr-x---. I don't know what happened and I would like to understand.

When an automatic update of CPanel/WHM is applied, does it check and restores the permissions on folders like /home/useraccount/subdomain.domain.com/ ?

Or maybe do you know if updates of CentOS sometimes resets those permissions ?

Many thanks for your help !

T.

2. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @trucmuche

The only thing I'm aware of that will modify those permissions specific to cPanel is enabling or disabling fileprotect. It is also run during nightly maintenance if the option is enabled and the option is enabled by default. You can read about fileprotect here: The EasyApache 4 FileProtect Option - EasyApache 4 - cPanel Documentation you can disable fileprotect from WHM>>>Server Configuration>>Tweak Settings -> Enable FileProtect

Documentation for the tweak setting specifically can be found here: Tweak Settings - Security - Version 74 Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. trucmuche

trucmuche Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Thanks. is there some security problems to disable FileProtect ? In other words, do you highly recommend to leave FileProtect on or shouldn't it be a big risk ?

4. cPanelLauren

cPanelLauren Forums Analyst II Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hi @trucmuche

It's just more secure than not having it set this way. I would recommend enabling file protect (over not having it enabled) in any situation, pending your system configuration is compatible.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...