The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does cPanel's latest edition support qmail?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hariskhan, Apr 15, 2004.

1. hariskhan

hariskhan Well-Known Member

Hello,

1) Does cpanel's latest version support qmail? (WHM 9.1.0 cPanel 9.1.0-R85 OSName - WHM X v2.1.2)
    2) Is DarkOrb planning on supporting qmail?

Qmail is a one word stoppage to all problems, least configuration and mangement and maximum throughput, without any problems, bugs or security risks.

qmail offers one of the best and most reliable MTA today. You can say its stable, HIGHLY reliable and secure because Yahoo! uses it.

If a huge company like Yahoo! relies on qmail for its mail system, why the heck are all the hosting companies being deprived of it for who are hosting for thousands, maybe millions of clients? I think many cpanel customers have demanded that cpanel support qmail and its high time we got its support.

Put qmail as an option in cpanel, just like you have many options when it comes to FTP servers and then do a servey on how many of cpanel's clients prefer qmail. I think you'll be surprised.

If you want cpanel to be the most widely used control panel, you have got to support qmail.

I like the ./Maildir/ format for emails. Its perfect for usage with any kind of load. It prevents mails from getting corrupted while being written to disk.

I think exim uses the traditional unix mbox format, in which all mail is kept in one file. Anything happen to that file and all your mails are gone. Which is one of the biggest problems.

Qmail has no problems with delivering mails locally or to remote hosts. You can add-in any feature into qmail without any hassle. And!! there are report generating web-tools made for qmail, so its widely supported as well.

Thank you

2. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I hope that Qmail isn't going to be supported ever. Use plesk if you want it.

It's not the one word answer to anything but future headaches. Plus, qmail licensing is a headache in itself, it's not free. It can be distributed, but changes can not be made to it, and it's only distrbuted as patches last I checked, not full source code.

Either way, won't happen.

As for the "put it as an option" it's not that easy. You can't switch from Maildir format to mbox and back, so it would have to be an install option, which means Nick would have to maintain two different builds at all times, one with each configuration file.

#2 nickn, Apr 15, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2004
  3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I agree with snikn, I would not be interested in seeing qmail either.

Exim works well with cPanel and I find it a refreshing change from other MTAs.

If you want to see qmail, stick in a Feature Request at http://www.cpanel.net, but I cannot see them taking the time and resources in adding support for a different MTA when they already have one that does the job perfectly well.

4. bmcpanel

bmcpanel Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Does cPanel's latest edition support qmail?

Dude, Exim is the worst email MTA ever. Qmail simply blows it away. Until I started using Cpanel and Exim, I hardly ever had email downtime. Now, my company answers about 20% of our help requests as Email issues.

Put simply, Exim blows. I have a Plesk server too. I knowk from experience, that Qmail would be a huge improvement over Exim.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

What a shame for you. Since moving to Exim, we have had no user problems at all relating to it as the MTA.

At the end of the day, it is down to personal preference. If you want qmail, go get Plesk. If you want Exim, stick with cPanel.

I find that MS Exchange and far behind it, sendmail, would be at the top of worst MTA.

6. hariskhan

hariskhan Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Does cPanel's latest edition support qmail?

I see no headaches (bugs, security holes, performance problems) mentioned in the software (qmail), though NOW I see what's causing the real headache;

1) Not being free (anyone can download and use/install it. Meaning can't change?)
    2) Only distributed as patches, not full source code (I agree it being a pain)
    3) Switching from ./Maildir/ to mbox (I agree, an install option only, means corporates should plan their strategy, that's great!)

I hope we can reach to a solution of the above mentioned problems. Talking/discussing of which, I can suggest a solution...

#6 hariskhan, Apr 18, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2004