The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does my situation warrant the nameserver to be running?

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by schwim, Aug 17, 2008.

1. schwim

schwim Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Hi there guys,

I've got about 30 accounts that I'm migrating to a new server and on intial setup, it states that it's suggested that I don't enable the nameserver on my machine. GoDaddy has it currently setup on new install to use two of their nameservers.

My question is this: Can I host my sites and get the names to point to the server without running the nameserver? For instance, I have a domain for the server( I've thought of two possible scenarios that may work, but due to ignorance, I'm not sure:

1) Can I simply create two ns addresses( & on my server then point all of my domains to them without having the nameserver running?

2) Create the two ns addresses, then use GoDaddy's nameservers to point the domains to, and GoDaddy's nameservers point it to my server after I've created the accounts on the server?

I'm very sorry for what I'm sure is an ignorant question, but I imagine I can save some processing resources by not running the nameserver, if that's possible.