The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does WHM use perl

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scoy, Jul 1, 2002.

1. scoy

scoy Member

I am running a RH7.3 machine with WHM 4.8.0.
    I was wondering if WHM/Cpanel depended on Perl being installed. Perl is installed through rpm on my system and i want to remove it and install from source. However i dont want to render my WHM/Cpanel useless by doing so.

Can i remove perl without affecting WHM/Cpanel?

Do you mean mod_perl?? Mod-perl can be removed without any problems. Removing mod_perl does not even mean that you will have the inability to run perl scripts.

2. itf

itf Well-Known Member

If you want to install Cpanel you need a clean Red Hat server installed (default)

But if you want to UPDATE Perl on a Cpanel server, download http://layer1.cpanel.net/perl561installer.tar.gz

3. scoy

scoy Member

well i dont want to install a new server, i want to take the existing one, remove the rpm based perl installation and install perl from source.

i just want to know if cpanel depends on perl for any of its scripts and such. i dont want to corrupt my WHM/Cpanel installation.

4. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:7de9d37f5d][i:7de9d37f5d]Originally posted by scoy[/i:7de9d37f5d]

well i dont want to install a new server, i want to take the existing one, remove the rpm based perl installation and install perl from source.

i just want to know if cpanel depends on perl for any of its scripts and such. i dont want to corrupt my WHM/Cpanel installation.[/quote:7de9d37f5d]
    YES it requires Perl

5. scoy

scoy Member

if i uninstall the rpm based perl and install it from source will WHM/Cpanel work?

is there a list of perl modules that WHM/Cpanel depends on?

6. itf

itf Well-Known Member

[quote:406d2184fd][i:406d2184fd]Originally posted by scoy[/i:406d2184fd]

if i uninstall the rpm based perl and install it from source will WHM/Cpanel work?

is there a list of perl modules that WHM/Cpanel depends on?[/quote:406d2184fd]
    If you remove Perl from your system those scripts which are using Perl couldn't be run then cpanel would not work properly.

For a list of Perl modules refer to https://yourdomain.com:2083 and click on installed Perl modules at the main screen

Also beware of security issues while you try to customize Perl !!