The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain Across Two Accounts: Website in one and email on another

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TCB13, Oct 3, 2014.

1. TCB13

TCB13 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Due to a messy situation with a client I'm kinda being pushed into a situation where I really need to have the email of a domain on a cPanel account and the WebSite itself on another account (both on the same server).

I tried to add the domain on the second account (for the website) but obviously cPanel told me the domain was already on the Apache configuration.

Is the there a way I can get over this? If the website was hosted on another machine I cloud simply add there the domain and then change the A record to the IP of the other machine, however in this case that seems impossible.

Thank you.

2. MikeDVB

MikeDVB Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

I can't think of any situations where this would be ideal or a solution to a problem. Can you elaborate the issue? There is possibly a better way to handle it.

Indeed. cPanel, as far as I know, does not have an option for 'email only' for an account and, as such, it will always add a domain to the httpd.conf and conflicts between accounts will create issues. About the only easy way I can think to do this off-hand would be to have the email-only account on a separate server and to make sure not to use DNS clustering or to ensure that the DNS does point to the right server. Moving one of the accounts at a later date if you're using clustering could result in the DNS pointing at the wrong account and, as such, the site going offline.

3. TCB13

TCB13 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Basically the client wants one department of this company managing the email and another the website. In the past there was some power issues around where one ended up messing the website. (People right...)

So the current solution would be to have two accounts so they can manage only what they should be.

Thank you.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's not possible to use the same domain name across multiple accounts unless you were to make the second account a subdomain name. You could then redirect the primary domain name to the subdomain name associated with the second cPanel account.

Thank you.