The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain-Addon Domain problem

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benjacob, Sep 7, 2011.

1. benjacob

benjacob Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I'm new to Cpanel. For two years I've been using Dreamhost and still do (and they have their own panel software). Recently, I signed up with Compitent Hosting and as part of the signup I had to buy a domain which I did for the insurance niche. Five days ago I bought a new domain from Comp. Hosting for a fat-loss niche. To my suprise and disappointment, I was told by support that I can activate and use the new (fat-loss) domain only as an add-on domain under the original insurance domain. At Dreamhost, I have several domains and they are all separate, standalone domains, and I thought the same system would work universally. My questions are:

1. Can I switch the two domains I have in Cpanel to make the fat-loss domain be the top domain, and the insurance domain become an add-on or sub-domain. The reason I want to do this is because I intend to let the insurance domain expire, but will definitely keep the fat-loss one.

2. Since any domain I buy with a Cpanel hosting company must be installed as an add-on domain, doesn't that make paying for new domains a waste of money -- I mean I could've created the fat-loss add-on for free, right?

3. If I continue with the current setup (insurance top domain - fat loss addon), and then let the top insurance domain expire, won't that mess up (delete) the fat-loss add on and all the word press pages I intend to create under it?

TIA for your responses. Also can you please recommend some comprehensive online tutorials on Cpanel?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    1) Yes, but your host will have to assist you with this.

2) This is a restriction by your host. You can't create addon domains without actually owning the domain.

3) Addon domains are basically subdomains of the main.

Your host is really the one that you should be speaking with on all of this.

In your cPanel there are video tutorials in many areas you might find useful.

3. benjacob

benjacob Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Thank you infopro, appreciate your answers. Yes, I did talk with my host, and for a minimal fee they will re-setup the account they way I want it.

4. echoutt

echoutt Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Reseller Owner
    Another way to not have to buy a domain when purchasing hosting is just buy hosting that provides free domain or free sub domain.