Domain domain.tld has exceeded the max emails per hour (124/100 (124%)) allowed. Message will be reattempted later

baroninn

Jan 31, 2018
Iceland
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hi,
this has probably been answered millions of times.

I have max_mail_per_hour=100

a user tried to send 200 emails today in one go.... ;-)
he got a bunch of mailer-deamon messages return saying "Domain domain.tld has exceeded the max emails per hour (124/100 (124%)) allowed. Message will be reattempted later"

my question is: will the message be reattempted later ?

because when I look at the logs I see this: "Domain domain.tld has exceeded the max emails per hour (125/100 (125%)) allowed. Message discarded."

so the notification to the user says = "message will be reattempted later"
but the server says = "Message discarded"

just wondering.... will the message be sent at later time, or has the message been discarded and will not be sent at all ?
I have not seen the message go out again in the logs...

so if the answer is no, the message will not be reattempted later, can I somehow create a queue or something so the mail server still sends out all messages, just waits until next hour ?
or how is everyone managing this ?

thank you.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! Up to 25% will be reattempted later, and higher than that will be discarded. These settings are found in WHM >> Tweak Settings under the "The percentage of email messages (above the account’s hourly maximum) to queue and retry for delivery. (Minimum: 100; Maximum: 10,000)" option, which defaults to 125%, which is what you're experiencing.

After that, the messages are discarded, so the details you're seeing are correct. You can always increase that percentage if you'd like.