Domain Forwarding (Masked) to Wordpress Install on Cpanel not working.

blenderhouse

Registered
Oct 10, 2019
Frederick md
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
*edited to add more details*

I have a domain domain.com that I have forwarded (masked) from GoDaddy to a subdomain on my server, test.domain2.com (not on GoDaddy). This is where I have my wp install. It works fine on the front end. But I can't log into the wp-site using domain.com. I can still log in under test.example2.com. Then it's also using test.domain.com for the links when I add images, etc. If I change the url under settings to domain.com the whole site breaks. Is there a setting or some code that needs to be added in cpanel or httaccess for example, so domain.com will forward correctly and be masked? I haven't done this before and am not sure what I'm missing. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelLauren

Technical Support Community Manager
Staff member
Nov 14, 2017
Houston
Hello,

I initially edited this post to NOT include domain names. I've edited it once more to remove them but please don't add them back. For this issue, how do you have it forwarded? If it's just a redirect rule when you add one for the specific wordpress login URL does the issue persist?

kdean

Oct 19, 2012
Orlando, FL
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
When a domain is forwarded (masked) on GoDaddy, all it does is stick your test.domain.com in a frameset on domain.com. You can't login because it won't pass the path you add to domain.com to the frame for test.domain.com. You can't change your wordpress settings to domain.com since that is not actually the domain that's hosted. It's just the sub-domain.

If you want everything to work under domain.com, then you need to not forwarded it and host it directly so you can set wordpress to domain.com and get rid of the sub-domain.

When you forward masked you also lose the ability to see or bookmark any individual pages of the site because everything is within the one frameset. There's really no point in building it the way you describe and a single site wordpress can only be configured with one domain.

Reactions: cPanelLauren