The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain forwarding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corpresa, Nov 27, 2009.

1. corpresa

corpresa Active Member

Hi guys,

I have a doubt about the domain forwarding tool, included in the whm, today I was try redirect a domain to other website using our server, but I see that only can forward 8 domain by 1 dedicated IP( this is not main IP )?

are there some way for can forward more domain with the same IP dedicated( this is not main IP )?

2. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Domain Forwarding via WHM DNS Functions

The feature in WHM allows forwarding more domains than the initial number of input rows displayed; if all of the text entry boxes were used then the feature will show additional input rows the next time it is accessed for adding more domain forwarders.

For reference:
    Menu path, WHM: Main >> DNS Functions >> Setup/Edit Domain Forwarding
    Documentation: Setup/Edit Domain Forwarding

For reference, if you wanted to save a backup of the settings or view them via command-line, the following two files are used to store the applicable IP address involved and the map of domain forwarders:
    Code:
    /var/cpanel/domainfwdip
    /var/cpanel/domainmap

3. corpresa

corpresa Active Member

so when..

so when I add the 8th domain for redirect, after of do click in the save map button, the next time will appear one textbox more?

do you want say this?

other thing, that i need help,

by example i need redirect a domain domain.es, to free website with the follow estructure: http://subdomain.domain.tld

what is the steps?

I did this steps:
    1.this domain.es, put the nameserver of my server, then in my whm setup the domain forwarding. of the follow way:

domain.es http:/subdomain.domain.tld

I do not know, if I did do correctly way

#3 corpresa, Nov 28, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  4. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Yes, once you click map button it will save the 8 records and you will be offered with more text boxes to add more records next time you click the same option.

Regarding the forwarding. yes, it is set correctly. Just make sure subdomain.domain.tld is working fine.

5. corpresa

corpresa Active Member

yesterday..

Yesterday i was configure the domain forward throught whm, but today the wesite not can load, i'm reviewing our dns zone, and not has been create any zona for this domain, it's rare.

as I see that this method not work, I use the cpanel tool, add domain, from there i applied the redirect.

Ever i'm open mind for future solutions for redirect some domain throught my server without create some account.

Thank you:)

6. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Please verify the URL has "http://" instead of "http:/".
    Code:
    http://subdomain.domain.tld
    Please also check to ensure the domain's DNS zone uses the correct IP address that is displayed in WHM on the page "Setup/Edit Domain Forwarding" -- this will help to ensure the domain resolves (points) to the correct IP.

The same IP address to use is listed in the following file when using the domain forwarding feature in WHM: /var/cpanel/domainfwdip

Via root SSH access the following command will display the file contents (i.e., the IP address):
    Code:
    # cat /var/cpanel/domainfwdip

7. cPanelDon

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    What madaboutlinux posted is correct; when the existing form text boxes are fully used and saved/submitted, the next time using the feature more form text boxes appear on the page to add more domain forwarders/redirects.