The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

domain forwarding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by precise, Jan 16, 2002.

1. precise

precise Member

Hi,

It seems that my domain forwarding is not working properly. I set up domain forwarding and added a zone file for the domain I want to forward and pointed it the IP selected for domain forwarding.

However, that domain does not forward, it just routes to the IP in the zone file.

suggestions?

Thanks,
    Patrick

2. moronhead

moronhead Well-Known Member

To set up forwarding in WHM, the zone file for the forwarded domain needs to point at the IP address used for domain forwarding.

3. namehog

namehog Active Member

Forwarding Domains to external hosts

Is there a detailed procedure to point domains at domains not hosted with us, without setting up a user account for every domain and adding forwarding.

we are currently migrating thousands of sites to new servers with cPanel, but also have some 2,000 domain names on our DNS settings that are forwarded to other domains elsewhere, and now need to be migrated to the new servers.

Is there a simple way to do it with a forwarder map file, if we use a spare IP assigned to a server as the forwarder IP.

I presume that we will have to add DNS zone for each domain to be forwarded and point that at the forwarder IP, but we can't be the only cPanel users with this problem

Help please ?

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

#3 namehog, Aug 27, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2003
  4. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

The domain forwarding feature in WHM works exactly the way you describe. You can find the function in your Root WHM under DNS Functions.

When you enable Domain Forwarding, WHM assigns a free IP address for the task. You then enter a forwarding URL for each domain. And, yes, you also have to set each domain's A record to point the IP address in question.

It works like a charm :)

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: