The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain Mismatch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mrdevon, Feb 20, 2009.

1. mrdevon

mrdevon Registered

I have searched the forums and this question has been asked but never really solved. The almighty Firefox "Domain Mismatch" certificate error usually when sending an email or attempting to access cpanel through the https:2087 method. Is there actually a fix for this other than the Fire Fox Add on to remember the setting for the domain mismatch.

I'm assuming the cause for the errors on this are due to the fact that the the SSL certificate isn't wild card based. But however other servers of my friends and other such places don't have a Wild card SSL certificate installed on multiple servers and they don't get Domain Mismatch error and neither do their clients.

There has to be a fix for this and i plead to cpanel to respond with with some sort of fix/response for this due to the fact i have searched and cannot find a response for this.

Look forward to hearing from someone about this.
    Devon
    BB-Hostings Company Director

2. Zishan

Zishan Well-Known Member

Its not a bug. If you will access a secure URL with a domain name other that for which the SSL was installed, definitely you will get the ssl mismatch error. Same is the case with the email. You won't get mismatch error if you access cPanel using the domain name for which the SSL has been installed and for email you need to use that domain name as Outgoing/incoming mailserver.

3. mrdevon

mrdevon Registered

So how do larger companies do this? do they remove the certificate from the SMTP? As this does not cause a problem when recieving mail via the clients
    mail.theirdomain.com - but only when trying to send email.

Any help again would be appreciated.
    Devon

4. Zishan

Zishan Well-Known Member

Generally every host uses a single domain name for their server hostnames e.g A Host abchost.com uses the domain abcserver.com for their server hostnames and their servers hostnames are like server1.abcserver.com, server2.abcserver.com and so on so the best practice is to get a wild card SSL for *.abcserver.com and it can be installed on any server. This approach is for hosts that has large number of servers for those who have few servers they purchase the SSL certificate for that server hostname and install that for services.

5. Sysbase

Sysbase Registered

I'd check with your hosting company and i think they can help do a quick fix on a Domain Mismatch problem.