The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain Name Drop Down boxes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stevenc317, Jan 28, 2009.

1. stevenc317

stevenc317 Well-Known Member

**Feature Request**

My question is throughout cPanel there are a number of locations where you have a drop down box that display all the domain names currently in the cPanel account (Example see screenshot).

The problem is it is showing every domain the system has, which in many cases
    are nothing more than placeholders. For example the first one is
    cpp.stocknum.net, that is the placeholder domain name for the 'cppsol' user and
    no website is associated with this. The same is for
    appalachianoutd.stocknum.net which is what your system created when I added the
    'add-on' domain of appalachianoutdoorsadventures.com (no that domain was not by
    my choice, that was a customer).

Is there any way that I can (globally) display only add-on domains and
    sub-domains and hide the 'placeholder' domains?

In this example my list would read:

albertdewey.com
    amen67.net
    appalachianoutdoorsadventures.com
    cardealertimes.com
    carsellernews.com
    cppsolutions.com
    cyclebuddy.com
    dailyspider.com
    demo1.dealerposting.com <-- it is a 'sub-domain' added via your sub domain
    util.

Attached Files:

#1 stevenc317, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. stevenc317

-- some followup thoughts, spurring from conversation with Joshua in support ticket 370541 # --

> If these are domains that shouldn't be in the list at all, you can
    > try running /scripts/rebuildcpusers

Well I guess they are 'suppose' to be there. They are created by cPanel when I create a new add-on domain. Honestly it is VERY annoying.

Example: I want to add a new 'add-on' domain of my_cool_site.com to my virtual host 'steven'.

cPanel creates; in addition to my_cool_site.com, mycoolsite.steven.stocknum.net (mycoolsite is the ftp user, steven is the virtual host, and stocknum is the server host). Honestly isn't this all overkill? It bloats all the 'domain' lists in cPanel in addition to adding a ton of of entries in the 'alias' for each virtual host in the httpd.conf file.

Maybe there is a good reason why they are created, I am just not aware of.

#2 stevenc317, Jan 28, 2009
  3. stevenc317

A few more thoughts from our conversation...

---
    Joshua,

Very seldom do I actually want to 'park' a domain. There are a few that I have point to the same website (ex: misspellings of the same name, etc). Most of my domains are actual full websites. I have been adding them under their corresponding virtual host cPanel account.

Currently I have the following setup:

-=- Virtual Host 1 -=-
    Name: cppsol
    Dir: /home/cppsol
    In this account I put all of my company sites under /home/cppsol/public_html/company/www.--something--.com
    These are all added via cPanel's add-on domain when I login as cppsol.

-=- Virtual Host 2 -=-
    Name: stocknum
    Dir: /home/stocknum
    Under this account I put all of my stockNum customers (mostly used car dealerships) under /home/stocknum/autocorner/www.--dealership--.com.
    These are all added via cPanel's add-on domain when I login as stocknum.

-=- Virtual Host 3 -=-
    Name: sandbox
    Dir: /home/sandbox
    This is my sandbox where my guys test new versions of our cgi scripts before making them live in Virtual Host #2
    These are all added via cPanel's add-on domain when I login as sandbox.

-=- Virtual Host 4 -=-
    Name: chris
    Dir: /home/chris
    This is our only customer that hosts multiple websites. He has access to cPanel where he adds his own domains and controls emails.

Aside from my choice of organizing under specific virtual hosts (as I do that for cgi coding reasons), am I missing something in how I should be configuring these sites in cPanel? As honestly having multiple entries for each domain (as I mention above in previous posts) is a pain.

I understand that for each virtual host they need a domain name, I *could* choose a TLD for each virtual host and that would be fine. My choice was to sub-domain it under my main host (EX: cpp.stocknum.net --> Virtual Host account 'cppsol') for my own organizational reasons. What I do not understand is when I am logged into cPanel under cppsol, why must each domain I add also be a sub-domain of the sub-domain of the host domain --redundant I know-- (EX: .appalachian.cpp.stocknum.net).

---

#3 stevenc317, Jan 28, 2009
  4. stevenc317