The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain name is bouncing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by alteredsanity, Dec 6, 2004.

1. alteredsanity

alteredsanity Member

My host recently (last week) moved me to a new IP. Since that time, the domain bounces through out the day back and forth between the old IP and the new IP. My parent name servers they gave me to use have not changed, all my DNS Zone in WHM on the new IP is correct I know...

So what is it? What is it that they need to do? Do they have to release the old WHM account?
    I dont know, Im at a loss, its been over a week and I cant use my site (of course Im a reseller and cant take orders).

Help

2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have them check /etc/resolv.conf, /etc/hosts files and verify that the correct IP is binding to the network interface.
    If it has been over a week you might consider finding a different provider with more technical expertise.

3. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It sounds like either a wierd dns cache issue or a perhaps 2 dns servers that are not synced.

To test the sync theory try this on a linux shell

#dig domain.com @ns1.somehost.com
    and
    #dig domain.com @ns2.somehost.com

Where ns1/ns2 are the nameservers. Maybe they are reporting different ips which could mean a syncing problem. Of course if I had to guess they are probably on the same server..

I would also say the host should probably have some more expertise. When I personally change a sites IP I set apache so that it will respond on both and then I leave it like that for 1-2 weeks to give plenty of time for the dns to catch up.