The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain Name Migration on Same Cpanel Server

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tldagent, Oct 3, 2011.

1. tldagent

tldagent Registered

Hey all, I have a question and looking for a step by step on how to achieve this with Cpanel.

The Scenario:
    We currently have several customers using ns1.domain1.com and ns2.domain1.com and we're changing our domain name. So we want to register ns1.domain2.com and ns2.domain2.com nameservers with the Registrar to ideally point to the same IP addresses as the old domain name servers... or Not?

Since we have several customers, all using the domain1.com nameservers, it's unlikely all of them would change their nameservers with their registrar in a timely manner but we can request it.

I'm trying to come up with a step by step solution in which we can make this happen.

Steps that I've come up with:
    • Register new nameservers at the Registrar with the same IP as the old.
    • Set 'Allow Sharing Nameserver IPs' in WHM Tweak Settings
    • Change names for the nameservers on WHM and add an A entry for the nameserver. After everything propogates. Each nameserver has to be changed and IPs correctly matched up in the A entry
    • Once all propagated, test site on new nameservers.
    • Request users change their Nameservers on their domain to ns1.domain2.com etc. from ns1.domain1.com
    • Hope they all change the above.
    • Remove the old nameserver entries in the DNS Zone file once all of the above has been accomplished.

Now I'm sure if these are the correct steps. Possible problems could arise if a customer doesn't get the email or doesn't change their nameservers for their domain.

The server isn't going to change, the IPs are not going to change, (but I'm up for any suggestions), just the domain is going to change and I'm looking for the correct process that will least effect our customer's websites and be most efficient.

In Summary:
    Current Nameservers: ns1.domain1.com IP 000.000.01 and ns2.domain1.com IP 000.000.02 will be switched to: ns1.domain2.com IP 000.000.01
    ns2.domain2.com IP 000.000.02 in the best possible process to not effect our users.

If for instance someone doesn't change their nameservers, how then would I make sure the old ns1.domain1.com IP 000.000.01 and ns2.domain1.com IP 000.000.02 still resolve correctly via mail etc to the new nameservers.

Thanks all for reading and if I'm missing a step or anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. A step by step tutorial would be nice... Thanks again.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

The steps you have posted would work fine. If you continue to own the previous domain name, it's fine to keep those name servers registered. The only way customers who do not update their name servers at the registrar will be affected is if the previous domain name expires or changes ownership.

Thank you.

3. tldagent

tldagent Registered

Thank you kindly Michael for the verification and support. Much appreciated! :)