The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain owned by nobody user

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mathuaerknedam, Mar 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mathuaerknedam

I recently took over administration of a CPanel managed VPS, and it's come to my attention that the hostname is not a FQDN. When I try to set the FQDN, I see a message that "The domain “my.host.name” is already owned by the user “nobody”. The system cannot set the hostname to a domain owned by a user because all local email would be directed to the “nobody” account.

I've seen Changing hostname error and a few other posts, but I'm not having any luck, and don't want to hijack someone else's thread.

I don't see the desired hostname listed in /var/cpanel/users/nobody.

I started out contacting the hosting company, and they "fixed" it with the standard linux methods. This seemed to work, as WHM reflected the change and no longer complained. However, I now see that the hostname has reverted, presumably due to automated CPanel processes.

I have root. How can I resolve this?

Thanks.

Code:
    => grep '' /etc/redhat-release /usr/local/cpanel/version /var/cpanel/envtype ; grep CPANEL= /etc/cpupdate.conf ; httpd -v ; php -v ; mysql -V
    /etc/redhat-release:CentOS Linux release 7.3.1611 (Core)
    /usr/local/cpanel/version:11.62.0.16
    /var/cpanel/envtype:virtuozzo
    CPANEL=release
    Server version: Apache/2.4.25 (cPanel)
    Server built:   Feb 20 2017 23:42:32
    ea-php-cli Copyright 2016 cPanel, Inc.
    PHP 5.6.30 (cgi-fcgi) (built: Feb 22 2017 20:54:08)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2016 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v2.6.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2016 Zend Technologies
    mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.6.35, for Linux (x86_64) using  EditLine wrapper

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

Is it possible the hostname configured for this VPS from the hardware node is changing upon reboot? If so, use your VPS management utility if it's offered to ensure the hostname matches what you have configured on the server. Otherwise, check with your provider to ensure the new hostname is properly configured from the VPS hardware node.

Thank you.