Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain pointed to IP should resolve to cPanel account

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by mitt, May 23, 2017.

1. mitt

mitt Member

Hi All,

I have a domain with cpanel account on my WHM server. Domain1.com Nameservers are pointed to my DNS. I need domain2.com httpd requests to point to the account webroot of domain1.com. I am not running the DNS of domain2 but the operator has configured the DNS to point web requests to my IP. I can confirm web requests for domain2 are resolving to my server.

I have tried modifying the domain1 (**edit from domain2 to domain1) zone multiple ways with no success.. A records, Cname records no luck.

I am open to creating a cpanel account for domain2 but i need the requests to resolve to the webroot of domain1. Thanks!

#1 mitt, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

If the name servers for "domain2.tld" point to an external server, then none of the changes or additions you make to it's DNS zone on the cPanel server are active. However, since an "A" record exists for this domain name at it's DNS host, you can add "domain2.tld" as an alias via the cPanel account for "domain1.tld":

Aliases - Documentation - cPanel Documentation

Thank you.

3. mitt

mitt Member

The operator of the Nameservers for domain2 have pointed httpd requests to my whm/cpanel server's IP. Maybe through a CNAME record? They are running email for domain2 so i would imagine it's a CNAME correct? When i try to add an alias i get this:

"There was an error when the system attempted to create the alias. Park::park(delmastro.ca) failed: (XID b2ycbb) Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver. "

So.. again, the domain httpd requests are pointing to my server but I am not running nameservers for it. I want the web requests to resolve to my domain1.com webroot. This MUST be possible. Can i not add an apache alias or something?

4. mitt

mitt Member

Bit of an emergency here. So want to make sure it's clear:

1. domain1.com setup on my server, i run the nameservers, everything working great.
    2. domain2.com nameservers NOT on my server but CNAME/A record has HTTPD requests resolving to my server but to the default website.
    3. I would like domain2.com web requests to resolve to domain1.com webroot.

Can you please respond. It should be clear that Aliases won't work for me.

#4 mitt, May 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The record should be an "A" record pointing to the same IP address associated with the cPanel account, as opposed to a CNAME record.

You can allow the addition of this domain name in cPanel as an alias by adding the IP addresses of it's name servers to the following option in Web Host Manager:

"WHM >> IP Functions >> Configure Remote Service IPs >> Remote Name Server IPs"

Thank you.