The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

domain pointing to two servers.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pakistanihaider, Dec 24, 2010.

1. pakistanihaider

i got two reseller accounts..from different ip's

i want to know..is it possible to host a website on two servers but have one domain..
    so if one server is down. the second one should b up and running??

if so please can any one guide me how to make it possible..

also my site is uploading and downloading my university notes and assigments and lectures.. and it have database..
    so when site update..it should update on both servers..

looking forward to replies and guidelines..

#1 pakistanihaider, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  2. JeffP.

JeffP. Well-Known Member

Hi pakistanihaider,

Yes; this is called Round Robin DNS. It's actually a fairly straightfoward concept. You just need to create an additional "A" record (IP address) in DNS for your domain that points to the other server. For example, if you had hosting at 2 different places for your domain "example.com", and if host 1 placed that domain on the IP address 1.1.1.1, and host 2 used 2.2.2.2, then you would want to make sure that the nameservers responsible for example.com contained 2 "A" records - 1 for each IP address (the default is 1 "A" record, since your site only exists on 1 IP address by default).

This is also possible, and is known as Replication. This is somewhat of an advanced topic, and until you're fairly comfortable with MySQL and the documentation provided, a simpler alternative may be to create frequent database backups and have them stored off site, on another server. For example, they could be copied via FTPS, SCP, rsync, etc.

3. pakistanihaider

Gosh...its so difficult..:confused::confused:

I have 0(Zero) knowledge about how this happens..so with your help can i do it soon or i will need to find an alternative method??

Is there any tutorial video or document that i can follow?? sorry i am really newbie in this.. :eek:

Will b great favour if you help me regarding this..