The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

domain quota separated for mail quote

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by prixone, Aug 26, 2007.

1. prixone

prixone Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    hi,

it would be nice if cPanel had a different layout were we could setup X space for the domain account and X space for the email accounts example:

domain.com has 400 mb of space and 10GB of email instead of all together.

what do you guys think of it ?

The main pourpose is to limit the person to use those 10GB over his storage instead of mail

2. jandafields

jandafields Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Seems like a bad idea. What is the difference if their email folder has 10gb in it, or their www folder has 10gb in it? Either way, it is on the same hard drive. It's going to confuse the customer, and I just see no benefit to it.

3. prixone

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Not really actually this way you can provide a totally different service that no one has out there...

And have also a good mail storage just like google or anyother

But i did like to hear from cpanel the viabillity to make this or if there is the possibillity of making this by changing the email path or it would need to change anyother encoded file ... if so is there the possibillity of requesting such feature in a newer version ?

4. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You might possibly do something like this currently with a bit of trial and effort:

Create an account for the website: domain.com (with whatever quota)

Create an account for the email: domain.com_email (notice the bogus ending. with whatever quota)

Delete the .com mail folder, and softlink it to the .com_email mail folder.

So, the email will still work because of the softlinks, but it is owned by a different account with a bogus domain name, and will have it's own quota.

I'm not sure if cpanel would ever try to automatically recreate the mail folders though, breaking what you have done.

Otherwise, offer a feature request and people could vote on it.

5. prixone

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I am sorry but this would be a really dirty way around on something very important such as email accounts... i dont think you would like to lose any emails.

Anyway i was thinking of few ways but from the not having the control over it isnt what i am looking for that is why i am wondering how would this fit into cPanel :)

6. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, it is messy, but other than submitting a feature request, and then waiting (possibly forever since they have so many other things they are working on), you probably won't be seeing something like this built-in very soon.

But, the above idea with some tweaking (make one account only show mail stuff in the cpanel account, and the other only show www stuff in the cpanel account), it doesn't seem like such a bad idea. As long as you tested it a bit first, and it worked like you wanted, you would be in no danger of losing any emails. You could get fancy, and write scripts that automatically make the proper links, and as far as that goes, make a script that automates the creation of both accounts with one command.

#6 jandafields, Aug 27, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  7. prixone

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    can you direct me to the place where i could request such feature ? and at least get a feedback from them ?

thanks.

8. jandafields

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The link for feature requests is
    bugzilla.cpanel.net

Don't expect feedback though. There are about 800 new feature requests in there that don't have comments yet, many of them are 3-4 years old, because they don't have enough votes to even receive comments from cpanel.

If you are serious about getting this, you are going to have to get a whole lot of support from people to vote for it.