Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Domain redirecting to /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by section31, Dec 1, 2009.

1. robhf

robhf Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I think this is a cache thing. I just did the last part of Eric's fix and it worked fine without all the preceding difficult stuff). So this is the bit that worked "If not, try going directly to a page on your server (i.e. index.html for example), and that will usually force your browser to refresh the content its pulling from the site."

2. sp1k3ster

sp1k3ster Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The issue for me was IPv6 related. Here is the ticket response I got from cPanel:

This appears to be an issue with IPv6. Since the system has an IPv6 address assigned to it Apache will listen for incoming IPv6 connections. However, since none of the sites or accounts are configured to use IPv6 Apache will just route the request to the default file - /cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi. I tested this further by disabling Apache from listening on IPv6 by commenting out the following from the /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf file:

Listen[::]:80

I then restarted Apache, and viewed the page in my web browser as well as through a few proxy connections and I no longer experienced the default page issue. One piece of evidence that brought IPv6 to my attention was this message in the Apache error log:

[Sun Jun 29 09:03:43 2014] [error] [client 2607:5300:100::502] File does not exist: /usr/local/apache/htdocs/DOMAIN-DIRECTORY

As you can see the client appears to be accessing or trying to access the site using an IPv6 address and as well we can see it's being directed into the /usr/local/apache/htdocs folder.

The solution here, will be to either comment out the Listen directive in the Apache configuration for IPv6 or setup IPv6 for the accounts on the system. Setting this up can be done from within WHM >> IP Functions >> IPv6 Ranges and WHM >> IP Functions >> Enable IPv6. If you'd rather stick with IPv4 now, which is what most people are doing I would recommend just commenting out the Listen directive in the httpd.conf file and restarting Apache for the change to take effect.

If you have any other questions or issues please let me know.

3. catwalkghost

catwalkghost Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Having the issue after rebuilding with EasyApache. Everything was running fine prior to this.

Tried /scripts/rebuildhttpdconf with no luck

No changes to the exhaustive options were made

#83 catwalkghost, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
  4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Are any of the previous posts to this thread helpful? If not, please open a support ticket and post the ticket number here so we can update this thread with the outcome.

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. catwalkghost

catwalkghost Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting back to me. Unfortunately, the solutions mentioned in this thread were not helpful in our situation and I had to rebuild the server from a back up.

6. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello Everyone!

The Default Web Site Page is a placeholder page for domains that resolve to a server using cPanel & WHM. It often appears when a visitor navigates to a domain that's not configured on the specific IP address the visitor's computer resolves the domain to. The image below shows an example of what the Default Web Site Page looks like:

default-website-page.png

The troubleshooting steps below are intended to assist hosting account owners and resellers determine the reason why the Default Web Site Page appears when navigating to a domain. Hosting account owners have access to the cPanel interface, and resellers have access to the cPanel interface plus a limited subset of functionality in the WHM interface.

Step 1. Determine which IP address the domain resolves to from your workstation.

The ping command is a simple method you can use to determine the IP address your domain resolves to from your local workstation. You can use ping on Windows (via the command prompt), MacOS (via the Terminal app), and Linux (via Terminal). Here's an example of what you will see when running the ping domain.tld command on your operating system:

Code:
    ping domain.tld
    PING domain.tld (1.2.3.4): 56 data bytes
    64 bytes from 1.2.3.4: icmp_seq=0 ttl=61 time=66.548 ms
    64 bytes from 1.2.3.4: icmp_seq=1 ttl=61 time=65.201 ms
    64 bytes from 1.2.3.4: icmp_seq=2 ttl=61 time=64.479 ms
    In this example, "domain.tld" represents the domain name you are checking, and "1.2.3.4" represents the IP address your workstation resolves the domain name to.

Step 2. Determine which IP address is assigned to the cPanel account associated with the domain.

cPanel users can find the IP address associated with the cPanel account next to Dedicated IP Address or Shared IP Address (depending on the type of IP address assigned to the account) when accessing the Server Information page in the cPanel interface:

server-information.png

serverinfo.png

Reseller users can also find the IP address associated with the account under the IP Address column when accessing the List Accounts page in the Web Host Manager interface.

Step 3. Check if the IP addresses detected in the previous two steps match.

If the IP addresses found in the previous steps match, proceed to Step 4. If the IP addresses do not match, proceed to Step 5.

Step 4. If the IP addresses match.

Try clearing the browser cache on your local workstation using the instructions available at:

Tutorial - How to clear your browser's cache

If the default website page still appears after clearing the browser cache, then it’s likely the issue relates to server configuration problem. You’ll need to contact your hosting provider’s support team to report the issue. The following document is available to help you to identify your web hosting provider if necessary:

How to Identify Your Hosting Provider - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Step 5. If the IP addresses do not match.

The IP address detected in Step 2 is almost always the IP address the domain needs to resolve to from your local workstation. Here are some common reasons why the IP address your domain name resolves to from your local workstation doesn't match the IP address associated with the cPanel account it's associated with:

A. Your DNS cache is out-of-date. Try clearing the DNS cache on your local workstation using the instructions at:

How To Clear Your DNS Cache - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Then, repeat Step 1 to determine if the IP Address now properly reflects the IP address found in Step 2. If the IP addresses now match, navigate to the domain in a new window or tab with your web browser to see if it now loads the website's content. If the IP addresses now match, but default website page still appears, refer to Step 4 above.

B. The A Record configured for the domain points to the wrong IP address. To verify the A record is setup properly, you should first identify the DNS host for the domain. You can use a tool such as Whois.com to check which nameservers are authoritative to your domain, or you can also ask your web hosting provider for information about your DNS host.

If you determine the name servers utilized by the domain are associated with the cPanel server your account is hosted on, browse to cPanel >> Zone Editor and click the Manage button to confirm the A record for the domain uses the correct IP address. If it doesn’t, click the Edit button and replace it with the correct IP address identified in Step 2. Upon correcting the IP address, refer back to Step 1.

If you determine the name servers utilized by the domain are associated with an external DNS server (e.g. your domain registrar), refer to that DNS server's support team or documentation to verify how to manage the domain's A Record.

C. DNS records for the domain were recently updated by your hosting provider. If your hosting provider recently changed the IP address assigned to the cPanel account, and you’ve confirmed the A record is setup correctly, then it’s possible it’s simply a matter of waiting for the DNS change to propagate throughout the Internet. This can take as little as a few minutes, and as long as a few days.

Step 6. Contact your web hosting provider.

If the previous steps are unhelpful in getting your website to load the correct content, then the final step is to contact your hosting provider’s support team for assistance. As noted earlier in this post, the following document is available to help you to identify your web hosting provider if necessary:

How to Identify Your Hosting Provider - cPanel Knowledge Base - cPanel Documentation

Additionally, if you have questions about these troubleshooting steps, or about cPanel & WHM in general, register an account on the cPanel Forums and join the discussion! We have a team dedicated exclusively to the cPanel Forums to help answer any questions you have.

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello Everyone!

The troubleshooting steps in the previous response should help you determine the reason why the Default Web Site Page appears when navigating to a domain in nearly every circumstance. That said, as a supplement to the troubleshooting steps in the previous response, here are some answers to common questions we receive about the Default Web Site Page that are applicable to server administrators with root access:

What are virtual hosts and how exactly do they relate to a domain name?
    We provide an in-depth guide here on how your server handles domain names and virtual hosts.

How do I setup my own name servers so that a customer doesn't have to manually configure their own DNS records?
    Instructions on how to setup name servers are available here.

As a server administrator, how do I alter the IP address of an account or the IP address a domain resolves to (when it uses my server's name servers)?
    The Change Site's IP Address option is available in Web Host Manager if you need to change an account's IP address.

To change the IP address a domain name resolves to when it's using name servers associated with your server, use the Edit DNS Zone option in Web Host Manager.

How do I change the way the Default Web Site Page looks?

Web Host Manager includes a feature called Web Template Editor that allows you to alter the look of the default web site page.

Why does the Default Web Site Page appear when I navigate directly to a shared IP address?
    It's by design for the Default Web Site Page to appear when navigating directly to a shared IP address in your web browser. You can follow the steps referenced below (modified from steps listed in our SSL FAQ document) to control which content appears when navigating directly to an IP address:

1. Navigate to WHM's Include Editor interface (WHM Home >> Service Configuration >> Apache Configuration >> Include Editor).

2. Select the Pre Virtual Host Include option.

3. Select the Apache version from the menu. We recommend that you select All Versions.

4. Enter the following text in the available text box:

Code:
    <VirtualHost IPADDRESS:80>
      ServerName HOSTNAME
      DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs
      ServerAdmin EMAIL
      <IfModule mod_suphp.c>
        suPHP_UserGroup nobody nobody
      </IfModule>
     </VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost IPADDRESS:443>
      ServerName HOSTNAME
      DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs
      ServerAdmin EMAIL
      <IfModule mod_suphp.c>
        suPHP_UserGroup nobody nobody
      </IfModule>
        SSLEngine on
        SSLCertificateFile SSLCERTIFICATEFILE
        SSLCertificateKeyFile YOUR-SSLCERTIFICATEKEYFILE
     </VirtualHost>
    Note:

This example uses the following values:
    • IPADDRESS represents your IP address.
    • HOSTNAME represents your server's hostname.
    • EMAIL represents your contact email address.
    • SSLCERTIFICATEFILE represents the full file path to your SSL certificate.
    • SSLCERTIFICATEKEYFILE represents the full file path to your SSL certificate's key.
    5. Click Proceed
    6. Click Update.

Additionally, note that you'd need to update the DocumentRoot values to reflect the directory associated with the content you want to load.

How do I know if there's a problem with my Apache configuration file?
    You can verify there are no errors reported when the /etc/apache2/conf/httpd.conf file is built by running the following command:

Code:
    /scripts/rebuildhttpdconf
    The output will look like this when no problems are present:

Code:
    # /scripts/rebuildhttpdconf
    Built /etc/apache2/conf/httpd.conf OK
    My server uses a NAT-configured network. Do I need to take any special steps?
    When you install cPanel & WHM, the installer will detect whether your server is on a NAT-configured network. If the installer detects a NAT-configured network, your server will configure itself for NAT mode and attempt to automatically map local IP addresses to public IP addresses. We document how this works on our 1:1 NAT document.

Additional Assistance

If you have questions about these troubleshooting steps, or about cPanel & WHM in general, register an account on the cPanel Forums and join the discussion! We have a team dedicated exclusively to the cPanel Forums to help answer any questions you have.

Thanks!

8. shekhar chatterjee

shekhar chatterjee Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I am having the same issue. Some experts advised clearing browser cache and cookies. It still not working. My website
    Code:
    https://example.com
    and it is redirecting to
    Code:
    https://example.com/cgi-sys/defaultwebpage.cgi
    Please anyone tell me what to do?

9. cPanelMichael

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
  10. Stompy

Stompy Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hokay, i got the solution for this guys, ssh:

/scripts/rebuildhttpdconf
    service httpd restart

give it a hard refresh, and ta-da!

cPanelMichael likes this.