The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domain Server hacked and now denied access to Cpanel

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by zam01, Apr 27, 2009.

1. zam01

zam01 Member

I am with 1dn.com and had my domain server hacked on April 18th. I opened a trouble ticket with 1dni.com support, but to date no response from them, and their website is now not accessible, same for telephone support. After contacting Cpanel, I was initially able to access my control panel through "2082". I changed passwords but only get a blank page when going to webmail. I also am denied access to my website, and keep getting a 404/403 message. 1dni.com has disappeared, and I am basically stuck as a layman trying to retrieve my email, as well as begin repairing any damage by the hacker. I just tried to go to Cpanel through the 2082 port and was denied access with a 401 "Access Denied" message. Can anyone please help me sort out this? When I send test mail to my email address via another server, I don't get a return so I assume it's going somewhere. I've been down 10 days now, unable to access my email or site and still no response from 1dni.com. Every time I attempt to go 1dni.com support, I get an "Error IP address time out" message, or basically, the site is unavailable. Are they still in business? How do I resolve this very serious problem? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sounds like you are probably SOL. Right now their DNS servers are not responding. It is possible after getting hacked they simply gave up and closed the business. You may not be able to retrieve anything.

I did a whois and it appears the owner is based out of Latvia. If you do a whois there is actually a phone number listed, you could try calling that number.

Nobody here is going to be able to help you directly get the information back, its up to your old host. Let this be a lesson to always keep your own backups!

3. zam01

zam01 Member

Thanks for the reply. Actually, 1dni.com is a dba for #1 Domain Names International, Inc. and Zane Lawhorn is the founder/principle. He's located in West Virginia and very accessible via his web site, litigation, etc. What are my options regarding accessing my cpanel web mail? I have my site data backed up so I can re-create my web site. While I figure out how to transfer my domain to a new web host server (if I even can), I'm still hoping I can find a silver bullet into my web mail on cpanel. What causes a blank page when you log into your web mail on cpanel?

4. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Ah your first reference to the domain was "1dn.com" which is owned by somebody in Latvia ;) I see you typed it differently the second time, ok.

Your best bet is contact the host, the white page can probably be fixed by a upcp --force which you do not have the permission to do.

You could do a backup of the entire site via cPanel which would inculde email.

5. zam01

zam01 Member

Again, many thanks for your help, and sorry for the mixup on the name. I've been trying to contact the host, 1dni.com/support for the past 10 days with no success - both via the web and land line. I pulled a roadmap of "how to repair a damaged domain", and now just need to get some serious technical help to make it happen, as well as find a new host server.

6. eth00

eth00 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No problem on the confusion, I was trying to track them down. Without having root on the server it can be pretty hard to get anywhere.

Have you tried downloading the emails via pop3 AND imap? It is also possible they deleted some of the files necessary for email to even work.

7. zam01

zam01 Member

When I went into cpanel prior to the hacking incident, I always retrieved my email through pop3 right from the control panel. When I go into cpanel now (blank page on web mail login, etc.), there is a completely different look to the screen icons and I don't see the pop3 option available. Should I do a Auto-configure for MS Outlook Express for pop3? I have not used MS Outlook to date, due to previous problems I experienced on another system, however, right now I'll try anything that's safe (LOL).