Domain verification failures with cPanel AutoSSL

endrju87

Registered
Oct 26, 2018
Canada
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I am struggling with an issue with Autossl on Cpanel. I literally tried everything I could so I decided to put a post here :) Cpanel version: 74.0.9 OS: Centos 7.5 There is a bunch of websites on the server which I want to have Autossl installed on. However every time I try to verify the domain I get the following error:

Code:
DNS DCV: The DNS query to “_cpanel-dcv-test-record.example.com” for the DCV challenge returned no “TXT” record that matches the value “_cpanel-dcv-test-record=R6q4pGT3nlwjqbCeACDd_mbXy0S3BRjaiZXOqin_rySPSsCmjuG3cM0mScmqBXIg”.; HTTP DCV: The system queried for a temporary file at “http://example.com/.well-known/pki-validation/800634BF01830B24151EB6FAD2B36292.txt”, but the web server responded with the following error: 404 (Not Found). A DNS (Domain Name System) or web server misconfiguration may exist.
DNS-based verification is not an option since the DNS server is not on that box.

Here are some findings:
1. It does not work for neither comodo nor letsencrypt AutoSSL provider.
2. The .well-known/pki-validation folder is successfully created.
3. The "Allow AutoSSL to replace invalid or expiring non-AutoSSL certificates." is enabled.
4. It does not work even with no .htaccess file inside the public_html folder whatsoever.
5. In access/error Apache logs I don`t even see any GET requests for these urls.
6. There are no TLS/SSL websites enabled for this particular domain, however it looks like it takes a default shared ssl certificate when trying to access it through https.
7. The server has no caching system or web application firewall in the middle.
8. My current .htaccess file looks as followed:

Code:
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/[0-9]+\..+\.cpaneldcv$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/\.well-known/acme-challenge/.+$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/\.well-known/acme-challenge/[0-9a-zA-Z_-]+$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/\.well-known/pki-validation/[A-F0-9]{32}\.txt(?:\ Comodo\ DCV)?$
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>
If someone has any idea what can be checked as well please let me know. I would really appreciate that. If I find an answer myself I promise to put it here as well for future reference.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Hello @endrju87,

Could you open a support ticket so we can take a closer look and verify why AutoSSL is unable to validate the domain? You can post the ticket number here and we will link this thread to it.

Thank you.