The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

domain with www

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scrotaye, Nov 28, 2005.

1. scrotaye

scrotaye Registered

Hi, when I add an account, it asks for the domain. If I supply a www in front such as www.domain.com, everything works correctly. But, the email that gets set up on that account looks like email@www.domain.com .

I have a feeling I'm not supposed to put a www. in front of the domain name. Instead put it as domain.com.

When I do this and try to go to the website, the cPanel message "no website is configured at this address" shows up.

What am I doing wrong?
    Am I supposed to have a www. in front of the domain name?
    If not, is the error message a DNS problem?

utterly confused :P,
    scott

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

When entering the domain, you should enter only the domain itself: example.com. Technically speaking www.example.com is a subdomain of example.com.

If, after adding an account for example.com, you visit http://www.example.com and you get the standard cPanel "no website" error, consider the following:

1) Check the nameservers for example.com

- have you changed the nameservers listed for example.com to point to your nameservers?
    - have you left up to 72 hours for the changes to propagate?

2) Check the DNS records for example.com

- do you have an A record for example.com pointing to the correct IP address AND a CNAME for www. pointing to example.com?

3) Check Apache configuration

- open your httpd.conf and check that the VirtualHost container for example.com is correct.

A good tool you could also use to check that things correct is www.dnsreport.com. www.dnsstuff.com also contains a selection of useful tools.

3. scrotaye

scrotaye Registered

After playing around with it, i noticed that http://domain.com works, however http://www.domain.com gives me the 'no website configured' error.

Does this sound like a non-propagated problem? As in, I haven't gave it enough time yet? I believe the DNS settings should be correct because a guy from my registrar set them up for me.

I am looking into the things that you mentioned. Thanks.

4. webignition

If this is the case, then either the above mentioned CNAME is missing or the VirtualHost container is not quite right.

The important parts of the VirtualHost container should appear as follows, with the most likely culprit highlighted in bold:
    Code:
    <VirtualHost IP address>
    [B]ServerAlias www.example.com example.com[/B]
    ServerAdmin webmaster@example.com
    DocumentRoot /home/example/public_html
    BytesLog domlogs/example.com-bytes_log
    ServerName www.example.com
    User example
    Group example
    CustomLog /usr/local/apache/domlogs/example.com combined
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/example/public_html/cgi-bin/
    </VirtualHost>

5. scrotaye

scrotaye Registered

THANKS!

That worked, I had to add in www.domain.com into the alias part. I used cPanel to add the account. Any reason why it didn't add it automatically?

Thanks again,
    -Scott-

6. webignition

It should do! If it doesn't, you could try upgrading WHM/cPanel if you're not running the latest version.

/scripts/upcp