The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domainpointer and Google

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CoolMike, Feb 2, 2006.

1. CoolMike

CoolMike Well-Known Member

Hi

I have a customer who has an account with the main domain mydomain.com, additionally he has a domain pointer to the main domain for mydomain.net.

Now he complained, that the pages are not in google because of duplicated content. He said, a domainpointer need to be done with mod rewrite. I was searching now the whole afternoon to have a confirmation for this, but did not really find something.

I just want to know, is my customer right and if yes, how can I create this without creating a 2nd account?

Thanks
    Michael

2. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Firstly, what do you mean by a "domain pointer" in this context? Are you referring to a parked domain in the context of cPanel, or is one domain pointed to another in some way using some other method?

Secondly, whatever the method used (be it a parked domain or a mod_rewrite job), mydomain.com and mydomain.net will still display the same content!

If they both display the same content and Google penalises domains for such behaviour, then I expect that they will continue to do so so long as duplicate content is displayed for both domains.

Your best bet would be to tell your client that if Google wishes to penalise a domain for the fact that the exact same content is served from two different domains, the client should find out what Google suggests and then you can choose whether or not to implement the changes. Ask your client to forward you the exact full response from Google for clarification.

3. CoolMike

CoolMike Well-Known Member

Sorry, with a domain pointer I mean the function "Park a Domain" in WHM. The problem is, the customer want that the correct domain is indexd by google and not just one of them.

He told me that I have to create a Redirect with mod_rewrite only this tell Google which is the main domain.

I sent a mail to google let's see, what they will tell me...

Michael

4. richy

richy Well-Known Member

Ah - the Parked/Aliased domain and "duplicate content" thing.

Basically, you can create a .htaccess file to detect which domain name is being accessed and if domain!=your main domain name, it issues an appropriate redirect. There are plenty of examples on http://www.webmasterworld.com or that you can find by searching Google (I wouldn't bother contacting them though as it won't be worth them replying).