The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domains dont resolve....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DigiAu, Sep 22, 2007.

1. DigiAu

DigiAu Registered

I have a clean install of cpanel on red hat enterprise... WHM seems fine as the IP shows the cpanel/apache page (after i flushed the IP tables).

I have setup a few accounts with domains and 1 of these work for a short time. ie: resolved to the empty directory. Now i can't get any of the accounts to resolve via typing in sitedomain.com. currently the machine only has 1 IP.

I have been looking through some other threads and tried rebuilding the named.conf without success. I'm pretty new to linux so i could quite work out how to get some of the other suggested fixes to work....

any ideas?:confused:

2. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

Perhaps the problem is not with Bind, but somewhere else such as your Apache configuration :confused:

I suggest start by checking what www.dnsreport.com says about your DNS settings for your domain(s). If that is shows errors, well then you should look at /etc/named.conf and the zone files in /var/named. However, if all seems OK, then check that you have the necessary NameVirtualHost (one, because you only have one IP address) and VirtualHost (one for each of your websites) directives in your httpd.conf.

3. madaboutlinux

madaboutlinux Well-Known Member

Check the DNSReport of your domain at http://www.dnsstuff.com/ and paste the errors.

Also try making the below change in /etc/named.conf

match-clients { !localnets; !localhost; };
    match-destinations { !localnets; !localhost; };
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    change it to:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    match-clients { any; };
    match-destinations { any; };

and restart named.

4. DigiAu

DigiAu Registered

Can someone describe code inputs for terminal to try this fix?? I have used

view /etc/named.conf

and located the lines in question... just unsure of how to edit...

Newbies are so frustrating aren't they :)

5. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My first suggestion is you hire a professional admin to lock down your box. No offense meant, but if you can't even edit a file you have a huge bullseye on your server.

Try pico filename to edit the file. Hit CTRL-X when finished editing and 'Y' to save the changes.

6. DigiAu

DigiAu Registered

None taken... Box is secure however Linux Admin strongly dislikes cPanel and refuses to make it work... I'm the poor guy stuck in the middle....

Worked... Thanks for your help... I'm sure i'll get the drift eventually:)

7. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Linux admins that don't work well with what they are given ... the reason I keep the "You're fired" Donald Trump poster in my office. All I need to do is point. :)