The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domains not resolving for some ISP's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jdarow, Aug 2, 2003.

1. jdarow

jdarow Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Hello,

We are having a few clients inform us that their site is down. However, when we check their site, it appears to be up and running.

We have had this problem on multiple servers. We have our name servers and domain name setup with godaddy.

We have had other people check the domain and it appears fine in their browser too. For some reason, some people cannot view their own domains. This problem will come and go.

I was wondering if there is a setting that would be causing this. Thanks for everyones time in advance, we are baffled.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Are you on Cogent? ;)

Aol blocked almost a quarter of the internet last year, basically isp's have got really bad blocking this and that without doing the proper research on what they are doing.

Just like AOL they know the average internet user won't know the difference or care if they can't access parts of the internet.

Personally there should be a law not to block any part of the internet from any isp, just my 2 cents.

Funny that AOL wonders why they are barely holding on...:confused:

3. PWSowner

PWSowner Well-Known Member

They probably are using AOL. I had a client who couldn't see his site. When I found out he was using AOL, I told him to try another ISP or use a friends computer who is using another ISP. He ended up cancelling his AOL account and getting real service.

I'm not putting AOL down, but anyone who wants full access to the internet can't use AOL.

I'm even considering not allowing an AOL email to be used to sign up for service because I've had too many times when a client wouldn't get my emails and get upset. AOL blocks too much.

4. NetX

NetX Well-Known Member

You are right, we have experienced the same problem with AOL's clients.

5. jdarow

jdarow Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    One client is using MSN and he has reported his site being up and down. Getting more information form the others.

6. perlchild

perlchild Well-Known Member

could be many of several things...

1) routing problem
    2) cache/proxy problem
    3) firewalling
    4) dns propagation error/SOA error/someone forgot to update serial numbers/negative caching outside of rfc compliance

If the problem still isn't resolved, and it applies to more than one client, it probably is #4
    the rest usually happen to one client at a time

7. digitalSite

digitalSite Member

Having same problem...I have one reseller with 4 domain names that come and go. Sometimes I can view the sites, but he can't or vice versa. DNS info is set up correctly, etc.

The only thing I see is failure at the Los Angeles pint when I went to www.alertra.com and did a spotcheck of all 4 domains.
    All of them fail at the LA point.

Some lookups i did on other sites work and some don't. What's strange is that this is the only reseller that has this problem. He has more than 4 domains but these are the only ones that are having trouble.

Any suggestions? ideas or how to solve this?

8. brhospedagens

brhospedagens Member

Having same problem 2

My problem is the same, I actually use DJBDNS dnscache resolving system on my company´s main server and when I switch to it´s resolver everything works fine, but my hosting clients that uses DSL caching servers are experiencing this same problem.

It is really a matter of lack of cache servers refreshment.

Regards,

9. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

We noticed this problem as well with different servers (not even cPanel, and some cPanel), the DNS is working 100% fine and we checked it with dnsstuff.com , but for some reason sometimes a user would not be able to see his site!! It works fine after 24hrs.

In one instance noticed the problem caused by a bad router at the client site, but other users from time to time have this issue.

The Internet is going crazy I tell ya!!

10. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Make sure reverse dns is set up atleast for the servers main i.p., you can get blocked from that.

11. hicom

hicom Well-Known Member

I've noticed something on our servers that no one is able to connect to BIND on UDP. Just the TCP connection is working.

I've opened another topic regarding this error at:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=51262

anyone has similar problem, especially with FreeBSD ?

Thx,

Tamouh

12. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

I had some odd DNS issues as well that were fixed by setting up secondary DNS services. Ended up with everydns.net which has worked well, since there are only a few domains on my server.