The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Domlogs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoWilkes, Jul 25, 2012.

1. GoWilkes

GoWilkes Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a subdomain for images.example.com, and really don't need a log for it. But every month, this log file gets very large, and ends up taking up a lot of space in /usr/local/apache/domlogs/. Inevitably, each month I get a warning that /usr/ is getting full, so I have to go delete the archive files and the images.example.com log file.

Is there a way that I can configure Apache to not create this particular log file? I want the other log files, just not this one.

2. MilesWeb

MilesWeb Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Have a check at option 1 OR option 2.. This should help.

3. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    It sounds like you may have a /usr partition that is really too small. This is one of the disadvantages of having a separate partition for the main directories (/bin, /usr, /var, and so on). When setting up a new server, it is difficult to guess how large the partitions will ever need to be, and very easy to cause this type of situation.

The problem with trying to disable the domlogs for a domain is that it will completely prevent the stats programs (Analog, Awstats, Logaholic, Webalizer) from giving you any information about the usage on the domain.

4. GoWilkes

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You're correct on both the cause and the effect; the partition is definitely set too small. When we set up the server, I believe the cPanel recommendation was 8G, so we made it 10G, but now that's not quite enough.

I don't want to disable domlogs for the entire domain, though; just a specific subdomain. I don't need stats or a full log on the /images/ subdomain.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I just want to clarify one thing. Do you have WHM > Tweak Settings > Delete each domain’s access logs after stats run set to On? Because the domlogs for specific domains and subdomains shouldn't be retained for a full month. They should be clearing from that folder on a daily basis typically, whenever stats run for the domain.

6. GoWilkes

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I do, yes. Under Tweak Settings, everything under "Stats and Logs" is set to Default, except the "Log rotation size threshold" is set to 10MB and "The interval, in days, to retain Exim stats in the database" is set to 90. I think these refer to /usr/local/apache/logs/, though, not /domlogs/.

If /domlogs/ rotates, where does the archive file end up? I can look there and see how often their really being rotated.

7. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You should be able to see how often they are rotated by checking one of the stats programs for the last date they pushed or in /home/username/tmp/ location where username is the cPanel username.

8. GoWilkes

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    All of the subdirectories under /home/example/tmp/ are empty, but then, I don't actually use any of the server-side stats programs. I used to use Urchin, but switched to Google Analytics awhile back.

Does that mean that I can safely disable domlogs altogether, or is there another purpose other than stats?

9. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You could disable stats processing. There are other things processed beyond the stats, though. Bandwidth is tracked that way as well as eximstats using cpanellogd. You can see what is processed if you run this command for one of the accounts:

Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/scripts/runweblogs username
    Where username is the cPanel username for an account.

Thanks!